A Study on Power Saving and Secure WSN
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2014 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2014|
|Authors : Anil Kumar , Preeti gulia , Shikha Sharma
Anil Kumar , Preeti gulia , Shikha Sharma. "A Study on Power Saving and Secure WSN", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V11(4),192-201 May 2014. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
wireless sensor network has a good future in many daily usage of a society system. WSN application is countless. Main benefit of this application is that we can implement in most of daily usage work. Security and power are major issues and challenges of any WSN’s .Because these are the primary aspect of any WSN’s system, some limitation and behaviour of WSN pose security challenges. In WSN area researchers are trying to find out best solution for battery efficiency improvement and reliable security improvable of WSN. In this review paper we have analysed applications, issues and challenges of WSN.
1. K. Akkaya, M. Younis, “A Survey of Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Ad Hoc Network Journal, 3 (3): 325-349, 2005.
2. I.F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, E. Cayirci, “A Survey on Sensor Networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, 40(8): 102-114, 2002.
3. I.F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, E. Cayirci, “Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey,” Computer Networks, 38(4): 393-422, 2002.
4. C.Y. Chong, S.P. Kumar, B.A. Hamilton “Sensor Networks: Evolution, Opportunities, and Challenges,” Proceedings of IEEE, 91(8):1247-1256, 2003.
5. W. Du, R. Wang, and P. Ning, “An Efficient Scheme for Authenticating Public KeysSensor Networks,” MobiHoc ’05 Proc. 6th ACM Int’l. Symp. Mobile Ad Hoc Net. and Comp., New York: ACM Press, pp. 58–67, 2005.
6. C.P. Fleeger, Security in computing, 3rd edition, Prentice-Hall Inc. NJ. 2003.
7. A. Perrig et al., “SPINS: Security Protocols for Sensor Networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 521–34, Sept. 2002.
8. K. Dasgupta, K. Kalpakis, and P. Namjoshi. "An Efficient Clustering-based Heuristic for Data Gathering and Aggregation in Sensor Networks". Wireless Communications and Networking (WCNC 2003). IEEE, Volume: 3, pp.16-20, March 2003.
9. C. Karlof and D. Wagner, “Secure Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks: Attacks and Countermeasures,” Proc. First IEEE Int`l. Wksp. Sensor Network Protocols and Applications, , pp. 113–27, May 2003.
10. J. Newsome et al., “The Sybil Attack in Sensor Networks: Analysis and Defenses,” IPSN `04: Proc. IEEE Int`l. Conf. Info. Processing in Sensor Networks, Apr. 2004.
11. Y.-C. Hu, A. Perrig, and D. B. Johnson, “Packet Leashes: A Defense Against Wormhole Attacks in Wireless Networks,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2003, Apr. 2003.
12. D. K. Goldenberg, J. Lin, A. S. Morse, B. E. Rosen, and Y. R. Yang. Towards mobility as a network control primitive. In Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, MobiHoc 2004, Roppongi Hills, Tokyo, Japan, May 24–26, 2004, pp. 163–174.
13. G. Wang, G. Cao, and T. F. La Porta. Movement-assisted sensor deployment. In Pro- ceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2004, Vol. 4, Hong Kong, March 7–11, 2004, pp. 2469–2479.
14. G. Wang, G. Cao, and T. F. La Porta. Proxy-based sensor deployment for mobile sensor networks. In Proceedings of the First IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems, MASS 2004, Fort Lauderdale, FL, October 25–27, 2004, pp. 493–502.
15. K. Akkaya, M. Younis and M. Bangad. Sink repositioning for enhanced performance in wireless sensor networks. Computer Networks, 49(1):512–534, 2005.
16. J. Kulik, W.R. Heinzelman, H. Balakrishnan, “Negotiation-Based Protocols for Disseminating Information in Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of Wireless Networks, 2002, 8(2/3): 169-185.
17. C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, D. Estrin, “Directed Diffusion: A Scalable and Robust Communication Paradigm for Sensors Networks,” in Proceedings of 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Boston, MA, USA, 2000, 56-67.
18. D. Braginsky, D. Estrin, “Rumor Routing Algorithm for Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of First ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 2002, 22-31.
19. W. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, H. Balakrishnan, “Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Micro Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Maui, HI, USA, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2000, 3005-3014.
20. A. Manjeshwar, D.P. Agrawal, “TEEN: A Routing Protocol for Enhanced Efficiency in Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of 15th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS`01) Workshops, San Francisco, California, USA, 2001, 3, 30189a.
21. A. Manjeshwar and D.P. Agrawal, “APTEEN: A Hybrid Protocol for Efficient Routing and Comprehensive Information Retrieval in Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium 2002, 195-202.
22. J.M. Kim, S.H. Park, Y.J. Han, T.M. Chung, “CHEF: CH Election Mechanism Using Fuzzy Logic In Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), 2008, 1: 654-659.
23. O. Zytoune, M. Aroussi, M. Rziza, D. Aboutajdine, “Stochastic Low Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchy,” Journal of Computer Networks and Internet Research ICGST- CNIR, 8(1):47-51, 2008.
24. S. Stanislava, W.B. Heinzelman, “Cluster Head Election Techniques for Coverage Preservation in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Ad Hoc Networks Journal, 7(5): 955-972, 2009.
25. G. Gupta, M. Younis, “Load-Balanced Clustering of Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communication,” 2003, 3:1848-1852.
26. A. Bari, A. Jaekel, S. Bandyopadhyay, “Clustering Strategies for Improving the Lifetime of Two-Tiered Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Computer Communication Journal, 31(14): 3451-3459, September 2008.
27. N. Amini, M. Fazeli, S. G. Miremadi, M. T. Manzuri, “Distance-Based Segmentation: An Energy-Efficient Clustering Hierarchy for Wireless MicroWSNs,” in Proceedings of 5th Annual Conference on Communication Networks and Services Research, 2007, 18-25.
28. S. Olariu, I. Stojmenovic, “Design Guidelines for Maximizing Lifetime and Avoiding Energy Holes in Sensor Networks with Uniform Distribution and Uniform Reporting,” in Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, Barcelona, Spain, April 2006, 1-12.
29. J. Lian, K. Naik, G. Agnew, “Data Capacity Improvement of Wireless Sensor Networks Using Non-Uniform Sensor Distribution,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 2(2): 121-145, 2006.
30. W. Xiaobing, G. Chen, S.K. Das, “Avoiding Energy Holes in Wireless Sensor Networks with Non-Uniform node Distribution,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed System, 19(5):710-720, 2008.
31. C. Song, M. Liu, J. Cao, Y. Zheng et, al , “ Maximizing Network Lifetime Based on Transmission Range Adjustment in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Computer Communication Journal, 32(11): 1316-1325, July 2009.
32. H.Y. Shiue, J.X Lieo-hong, S. Horijuchi, “Energy Saving in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Journal of Communication and Computing, 6(5): 20-28, May 2009.
33. I. Dietrich, F. Dressler, “On the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 5(1): 5:1-5:39, February 2009.
34. G. Anatasi, M. Conti, M.D. Francesco, A. Passarella, “Energy Conservation in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Ad Hoc networks, 7(3):537-568, May 2009.
35. A. Bari, S. Wazed, A. Jacked, S. Bandyopadhyay, “A Genetic Algorithm based Approach for Energy Efficient Routing in Two-Tired Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Ad Hoc Networks Journal, 7 (4): 665-676, June 2009.
36. G. Chen, C. Li, M. Ye, J. Wu, “An Unequal Cluster-based Routing Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Wireless Networks Journal, Springer, 15(2):193-207, February 2009.
37. G. Amato, A. Caruso, S. Chessa, “Application driven Energy Efficient Communication in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Computer Communication, 32(5): 896-906, March 2009.
38. R. Kumar, V. Tsiatsis, M.B. Srivastava, “Computation Hierarchy for in-Network Processing,” in Proceedings of 2nd ACM International Workshop on Wireless Networks and Applications, San Diego, CA, September 2003 , 68-77.
39. S. Rhee, D. Seetharam, S. Liu, “Techniques for Minimizing Power Consumption in Low Data-Rate WSNs,” in Proceeding of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Atlanta, GA, 2004, 3: 1727-1731.
40. A. Cerpa, J. Elson, D. Estrin, L. Girod, M. Hamilton, J. Zhao, “Habitat Monitoring: Application Driver for Wireless Communications Technology,” in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Data Communications in Latin America and the Caribbean, Costa Rica, April 2001, 20-41.
41. A. Mainwaring, J. Polastre, R. Szewczyk, D. Culler, J. Anderson, “Wireless Sensor Networks for Habitat Monitoring,” in Proceedings of International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, September 2002, 88-97.
42. H. Wang, D. Estrin, L. Girod, “Preprocessing in a Tiered WSN for Habitat Monitoring,” EURASIP: Journal of Applied Signal Processing, January 2003, 392-401.
43. G. Smaragdakis, I. Matta, A. Bestavros, “SEP: A Stable Election Protocol for Clustered Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop on Sensor and Actor Network Protocols and Applications (SANPA 2004), Boston, MA, August 2004, 251-261.
44. L. Qing, Q. Zhu, M. Wang, “Design of a Distributed Energy-Efficient Clustering algorithm for Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks,” Elsevier, Computer Communication Journal, 29(12): 2230-2237, August 2006.
45. Y. Liyang, W. Neng, Z. Wei, Z. Chunlei, “Deploying a Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Network,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCom), 21-25 September 2007, 2588-2591.
46. X. Wang, G. Zhang, “DECP: A Distributed Election Clustering Protocol for Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Network,” in Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS), Part III, LNCS, 2007, 489: 105-108.
47. A. S. Zahmati, B. Abolhassani, A.A.B. Shirazi, A. S. Bakhtiari, “An Energy-Efficient Protocol with Static Clustering for Wireless Sensor Networks,” International Journal of Electronics, Circuits and Systems, 3(2): 35-138, 2007.
48. G. Xin, W.H. Yang, D. De-Gang, “EEHCA: An Energy-Efficient clustering Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Information Technology Journal, 7(2): 245-252, 2008.
49. B. Karp, H. T. Kung, “GPSR: Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing for Wireless Networks,” in Proceedings of 6th annual international conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 2000, 243 – 254.
50. M. Stemm, R. H. Katz, “Measuring and Reducing Energy Consumption of Network Interfaces in Hand-Held Devices,” IEICE Transactions on Communications, Special Issue on Mobile Computing, 1997, E80-B (8): 1125-1131.
51. E. Fasolo, M. Rossi, J. Widmer, M. Zorzi, “In-network Aggregation Techniques for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey,” IEEE Wireless Communication, 14(2): 70-87, 2007.
52. S. Madden M.J. Franklin, J.M. Hellerstein, W. Hong, “TAG: A Tiny Aggregation Service for Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks,” in Proceeding of 5th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), Boston, MA, 36 December 2002, 131-146.
53. C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, D. Estrin, J. Heidemann, F. Silva, “Directed Diffusion for Wireless Sensor Networking,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 11(1): 2-16, February 2003.
54. S. Nath, P.B. Gibbons, S. Seshan, Z.P. Anderson, “Synopsis Diffusion for Robust Aggregation in Sensor Networks,” in Proceeding of 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networks Sensor System, Baltimore, MD, November 2004, 250-262.
55. L. Gatani, G.L. Re, M. Ortolani, “Robust and Efficient Data Gathering for Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceeding of 39th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 4-7 January 2006, 9: 235.1.
56. K. Kalpakis, K. Dasgupta, P. Namjoshi, “Maximum Lifetime Data Gathering and Aggregation in Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceeding of IEEE International Conference Networking, August 2002, 685-696.
57. W. Choi, P. Shah, S.K. Das, “A Framework for Energy-Saving Data Gathering Using Two-Phase Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services , Boston, 2004, 203-212.
58. H. Cam, S. Ozdemir, P. Nair, D. Muthuavinashiappan, “ESPDA: Energy-Efficient and Secure Pattern-based Data Aggregation for Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of Second IEEE Conference on Sensors, Toronto, Canada, 22-24 October 2003, 732-736.
59. Yang Xiao, Venkata Krishna Rayi, Bo Sun, Xiaojiang Du, Fei Hu, and Michael Galloway”A Survey of Key Management Schemes in Wireless Sensor Networks”; Computer Communications, Special Issue On Security On Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks
60. AI-Sakib Khan Pathan and Choong Seon Hong,”Secure energy-efficient routing protocol for densely deployed wireless sensor network”Ann. Telecommun.(2008)63:529-541 DOI 10.1007/s12243-008-0042-5
61. Md. Abdul Hamid and Choong Seon Hong,”Energy conserving security mechanisms for wireless sensor networks,Annals of Telecommunications(2009)Volume 64,Numbers 11-12,723-734,DOI: 10.1007/978-0-387-33112-6-15
wireless sensor network’s (WSN) Introduction