AspenHysys Simulation of Methanol to Dimethylether (DME)
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Hassan Babiker, Babiker.A.Karma, Adil. A.Mohammed
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V46P237|
Hassan Babiker, Babiker.A.Karma, Adil. A.Mohammed "AspenHysys Simulation of Methanol to Dimethylether (DME)", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V46(4),214-220 April 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Dimethyl ether can be used as a propellant, also can be used in diesel engines with the advantage of high efficiency, a high cetane number, and low exhaust emissions (no particulates, no Sulphur, and low NOx). Technical-quality DME is an alternative to liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). It has excellent combustion characteristics due to a low auto ignition temperature. Dimethyl ether has a cetane number of 55–60, DME can be used as a substitute for diesel fuel in a diesel engine. This simulation study is able to predict and describe the compositions of the final production rate, and the distribution of the main components in the final product. This allows the estimation of economic factors, related to the operation of the catalytic reactor. For the present study, DME production process is simulated in Aspen Hysys V8.8 environment. a fluid package is selected along with the components which are to be in the input stream. In the process, NTRL was selected as the fluid package as it isable to handle selected pure components (methanol, water and dimethyl ether). The equilibrium reaction was selected to describe conversion of methanol to DME reaction.
1. MayankKumar, VimalChandraSrivastava1, Simulation of a Fluidized-Bed Reactor for Dimethyl Ether Synthesis,
Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
3. Bohnenn, L. J. M. Aerosol Age 1981, 26, (I), 26; (2), 42.
4. Mohammad Farsi; Abdolhossein Jahanmiriy. International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 2011,9,Article A74.
6. Design and simulation of a plant producing dimethyl ether (DME) from methanol by using simulation software ASPEN PLUS, B. Sumalatha1*, A. Venkata Narayana1, K. Kiran Kumar2, D.John,Babu and T. C. Venkateswarulu.
7. Martin Bertau, Hans Jürgen Wernicke and Friedrich Schmidt,Methanol Utilization Technologies.
Aspen Hysys, Simulation, Methanol, Di-methyl ether.