Experimental Study of Convective Heat Transfer and Thermal Performance in the Heat - Sink Channel with Various Geometrical Configurations Fins
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2013 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2013|
|Authors : Mohit Taneja , Sandeep Nandal , Arpan Manchanda , Ajay Kumar Agarwal|
Mohit Taneja , Sandeep Nandal , Arpan Manchanda , Ajay Kumar Agarwal. "Experimental Study of Convective Heat Transfer and Thermal Performance in the Heat - Sink Channel with Various Geometrical Configurations Fins". International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT). V4(6):2241-2246 Jun 2013. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group.
An experimental study was conducted to investigate the heat transfer & friction loss characteristics in a heat sink channel with various geometrical configurations under constant heat flux conditions. The experiments are performed for the Reynolds number and heat flux in the ranges of 300 to 900 and 1.50 - 5.50kw/m 2 , respectively. The heat sink with two different channel heights and two different channel widths are accomplished. Different geometrical configurations parameters effect of the micro - channel and heat flux on the heat transfer characteristics and pressure drop are considered. For those configurations the av erage heat transfer coefficient and Nusselt number were determined experimentally. The micro - channel geometry configuration has significant effect on the enhancement heat transfer and pressure drop. The results of this study are expected to lead to guideli nes that will allow the design of the micro - channel heat exchangers with improved heat transfer performance of the electronic devices.
1. C.Y. Zhao, T.J. Lu, Analysis of microchannel heat sink for electronics co oling, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 45 (2002) 4857 – 4869.
2. K.H. Ambatirudi, M.M. Rahman, Analysis of conjugate heat transfer in microchannel heat sinks, Numerical Heat Transfer 37 (2000) 711 – 731.
3. J.J.Wei, H. Honda, Effects of fin geometry on boiling heat transfer from silicon chips with micro - pin - fins immersed in FC - 72, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 46 (2003) 4059 – 4070.
4. J. Luo, Optimum allocation of heat transfer surface area for cooling load and COP optimization of a ther moelectric refrigerator, Energy Conservation and Management 44 (2003) 3197 – 3206.
5. T.Q. Feng, J.L. Xu, An analytical solution of thermal resistance of cubic heat spreaders of electronic cooling, Applied Thermal Engineering 24 (2004) 323 – 337.
6. H. Bhowmil, Conv ection heat transfer from discrete heat sourced in a liquid cooled rectangular channel, Applied Thermal Engineering 25 (2005) 2532 – 2542.
7. H.Y. Li, S.M. Chao, G.L. Tsai, Thermal performance measurement of Heat sinks with confined impinging jet by infrared th ermography, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 48 (2005) 5386 – 5394.
8. X. Yu, Development of a plate - pin fin heat sink and its performance comparisons with a plate fin heat sink, Applied Thermal Engineering 25 (2005) 173 – 182.
9. Y. Peles, Forced con vective heat transfer across a pin fin micro heat sink, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 48 (2005) 3615 – 3627.
10. K. Yukut, Experimental investigation of thermal resistance of a heat sink with hexagonal fins, Applied Thermal Engineering 26 (2006 ) 2262 – 2271.
11. K.S. Yang, W.H. Chu, I.Y. Chen, C.C. Wang, A comparative study of the airside performance of heat sinks having pin fin configurations, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 50 (2007) 4607 – 4613.
12. C. Hong, Y. Asako, Heat transfer charac teristics of gaseous flows in a microchannel and a microtube with constant wall temperature, Numerical Heat Transfer 52 (2007) 219 – 238.
13. T.M. Jeng, S.C. Tzeng, Pressure drop and heat transfer of square pin - fin arrays in inline and staggered arrangements, I nternational Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 50 (2007) 2364 – 2375.
14. L.F. Moody, Friction factors for pipe flow, Trans. ASME 66 (1944) 671 – 683.
15. Frank M. White, Viscous Fluid Flow. McGraw - Hill, New York, 1991.
16. W.M. Kays and M.E. Crawford, Convective Heat and Mass Transfer (2 nd Edn.), McGraw - Hill Book Co., New York, U.S.A. (1980).
Convective heat transfer, Heat sink, Experimental method, Air fluid flow, Heat transfer coefficient.