Experimental Investigation of Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Palmyra Fiber Reinforced Polyster Composites With and Without Chemical Treatment and Also Addition of Chalk Powder
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2013 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2013|
|Authors : C.Mahesh , B.Kondapanaidu , K.Govindarajulu , V.Balakrishna murthy|
C.Mahesh , B.Kondapanaidu , K.Govindarajulu , V.Balakrishna murthy. "Experimental Investigation of Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Palmyra Fiber Reinforced Polyster Composites With and Without Chemical Treatment and Also Addition of Chalk Powder". International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT). V5(5):259-271 Nov 2013. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
The interest in natural fiber-reinforced polymer composite materials is rapidly growing both in terms of their industrial applications and fundamental research. The natural fiber composites are more environmentally friendly. The main objective of this project is to investigate effect of chemical treatment and addition of chalk powder (additive) to the composite on thermal and mechanical properties of (Palmyra bract fiber) natural fiber reinforced polyester composites. The composites have been made by with and without chemical treatment to Palmyra fiber and addition of chalk powder to the polyester matrix. Mechanical properties such as tensile properties (such as tensile strength, tensile modulus), Flexural properties (such as Flexural Strength, Flexural Modulus), Impact Strength when subjected to varying weights of fiber (0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 grams) and thermal properties such as conductivity, specific Heat capacity, thermal diffusivity of composites are studied.The tensile strength, flexural strength, impact strength of chemical treated fiber composite increased when compared with untreated fiber composite by increasing fiber content. Thermal properties of treated fiber composite also increased when compared with untreated fiber composite. With addition of chalk powder to the treated composite Thermal conductivity, Specific Heat capacity, Thermal diffusivity of the composite are increased. But mechanical properties almost equal when compared to without addition of chalk powder to the composite.
1. Mori H., Takagi H., Hino J. and Nakaoka M., Damping Properties of Bamboo Fiber
2. Reinforced Eco-Composites, Journal of Ecotechnology Research, Vol. 10, No. 4, 174-175, 2004.
3. Netravali, A.N. and Chabba, S., Composites Get Greener, A Review Feature, Materials Today, 6, 4, 22-29, 2003.
4. Oksman, K., Skrifvars, M. and Selin, J.-F., Natural fibers as reinforcement in polylactic acid (PLA) composites, Compos Sci Technol, 63, 1317-1324, 2003.
5. Okubo, K., Takagi, H. and Goda, K., Green Composites’ Research and Today’s Progress, Journal of the Society of Materials Science, Japan, Vol. 55, No. 4, 438-444, 2006.
6. THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY BEHAVIOR OF NATURAL FIBER-REINFORCED COMPOSITES Ryosuke Osugi1*, Hitoshi Takagi2, Ke Liu1, and Yusuke Gennai11 Graduate School of Advanced Technology and Science, The University of Tokushima 2-1 Minamijousanjima-cho, Tokushima 770-8506 Japan 2 Institute of Technology and Science, The University of Tokushima 2-1 Minamijousanjima-cho, Tokushima 770-8506 Japan .
7. Thermal Properties of Maize Fiber Reinforced Unsaturated Polyester Resin Composites Saravana Bavan D and Mohan Kumar G C. Member, IAENG.
8. Effect of Alkaline Treatment on Mechanical and Thermal Properties Oftypha Angustifolia Fiber Reinforced Composites M.Dedeepya, T.Dharma Raju & T. Jayananda Kumar.
9. Effect of Silica on Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Sisal Fiber Reinforced Polyester Composites.
10. Thermal Conductivity Characterization of Composite Materials Bhyrav Mutnuri Thesis Submitted to the College of Engineering and Mineral Resources at West Virginia University.
11. Mechanical and Thermal Behaviour of Ecofriendly Composites Reinforced by Kenaf and Caroà Fibers P. Persico, D. Acierno, C. Carfagna, and F. Cimino Institute of Chemistry and Technology of Polymers National Research Council of Italy, Via Campi Flegrei, 34 80078 Pozzuoli (Na), Italy.
12. The Effect of Curative Concentration on Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Flexible Epoxy Coated Jute Fabric Reinforced Polyamide 6 Composites Smith Thitithanasarn1*, Kazushi Yamada1, Umaru S. Ishiaku, Hiroyuki Hamada Department of Advanced Fibro-Science, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Kyoto, Japan; Department of Textile Science and Tech-nology, Faculty of Science, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
13. Effect of Chemical Treatment on Physical, Mechanical and Thermal Properties of Ladies Finger Natural Fiber S. I. Hossain, M. Hasan, Md. N. Hasan, and A. Hassan Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh.
Palmyra fiber, natural composite, Chemical treatment, chalk powder, Mechanical properties, Thermal properties.