Mitigation of Harmonics by Shunt Active Power Filter using Synchronous Detection Method
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2013 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2013|
|Authors : A.Subramaniya Siva , M.Bhavani|
A.Subramaniya Siva , M.Bhavani."Mitigation of Harmonics by Shunt Active Power Filter using Synchronous Detection Method". International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT). V4(6):2584-2588 Jun 2013. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group.
In recent days the usage of non - linear loads are becoming enormous which gives an alarming signal to power system and power engineers. This paper deals with design, simulation experimentation of a shunt active power filter (SAPF) to improve power quality. Due to a large amount of non - linear power electronic equipments, and fluctuating loads (such as that of arc furnace, heavy merchant mill etc), problems of power quality have become more and more serious with each passing day. The usage of active filter mitigates the harmonics present in the current signal resulting in maintaining the quality of the power supply in the system. It is known from the fact that Harmonic Distortion is one of the main power quality problems frequently encountered by the utilities. As a result Shunt Active power filter (SAPF) gains much more attention due to excellent harmonic compensation. Here Synchronous Detection Method (SDM) is used to tune the Shunt active power filter. On owing SDM method gives away an outstanding performance under any voltage conditions ( balanced, un - balanced, balanced non sinusoidal and balanced sinusoidal). Extensive simulations were carried out; Simulation results validate the superior performance of Synchronous Detection method (SDM) . Simulation is done in Matlab/simulink software and the results shows that Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is reduced significantly when compared with other methods.
1. Yi T ang, Student Member, IEEE, Poh Chiang Loh, IEEE,Peng Wang, Member,IEEE, Fook Hoong Choo, Feng Gao, Member, IEEE, & Frede Blaabjerg, Fellow, IEEE “ Generalised Design Of High Performance Shunt Active Power Filter With Output LCL Filter” IEEE Trans on In dustrial Electronics, Vol.59,NO.3,March 2012
2. Maurizio Cirrincione, Member IEEE, Marcello Pucci,Member IEEE, Gianpaolo Vitale, Member IEEE, & Abdellatif Miraoui, Member, IEEE, “Current Harmonic Compensation by a Single - Phase Shunt Active Power Filter Contr olled By Adaptive Neural Filtering” IEEE Trans on Industrial Electronics, Vol,56.NO.8, AUG 2009.
3. Md. Ashfanoor Kabir and Upal Mahbub “Synchronous Detection and Digital control of Shunt Active Power Filter in Power Quality Improvement” Bangladesh Universit y of Engineering IEEE Transactions 2011 .
4. Patricio Salmeron & Reyes S. Herrera “Distorted & Unbalanced System Compensation Within Instantaneous Reactive Power Framework” IEEE Trans. On Power Delivery.Vol.21,NO.
5. Izzeldin Idris abdalla, K.S.Rama Rao, N.Per umal “Three Phase Four - Leg Shunt Active Power Filter to Compensate harmonics & Reactive Power” 2011 IEEE Symposium on Computer & Informatics.
6. Chennai Salim & Benchouia Mohamed Toufik IEEE Member “Intelligent Controllers for Shunt Active Filter to Compens ate Current Harmonics Based on SRF and SCR Control Strategies” International Journel on Electrical Engg & Informatics Vol 3, 2011.
7. Hirofumi Akagi, Yoshihira Kanazawa and Akira Nabae, “Instantaneous reactive power compensator comprising switching power dev ices without energy storage components,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 1A - 20, May/June 1984, pp.
8. M. F. Shousha*, Student Member, IEEE, S. A. Zaid*, and O. A. Mahgoub*, Member, IEEE “ Bett er Performance for Shunt Active Power Filters” El ectrical Power and Machines Department, Cairo University, (Egypt) IEEE Transactions 2011.
9. Patricio Salmeron and Salvador P. Litran “A Control Strategy for Hybrid Power Filter to Compensate Four - Wires Three - Phase Systems” IEEE Transactions on Power E lectr onics, vol. 25, no. 7, july 2010 .
10. Hu Yong - jun ,Fan Li - li, Hu Ya - jing “ A Reactive and Harmonic Current Detection Method of Three - phase Asymmetric System” 2010 International Conference on Computational and Information Sciences.
11. Moleykutty George and Karti k Prasad Basu “ Performance Comparison of Three - Phase Shunt Active Power Filter Algorithms” American Journal of Applied Sciences 5 (11): 1424 - 1428, 2008 ISSN 1546 - 9 239 © 2008 Science Publications
Harmonic compensation, Shunt Active power filter, hysteresis controller, IGBT, SDM control strategy.