Design and Analysis of Pressure Safety Release Valve by using Finite Element Analysis
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2014 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2014|
|Authors : Mr.V.D.Rathod , Prof.G.A.Kadam , Mr.V. G. Patil
Mr.V.D.Rathod , Prof.G.A.Kadam , Mr.V. G. Patil. "Design and Analysis of Pressure Safety Release Valve by using Finite Element Analysis", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V13(1),50-54 July 2014. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Safety systems are installed in various industries to prevent undesirable events and to minimize the adverse effects of such events if they occur. Because of their nature, safety systems must be highly reliable. From a safety point of view, it should operate accurate at set pressure. For economic reasons, it is better to replace the safety valve devices than the total safety valve and pressure operating devices. Generally, there are different methods which are used to attain high system reliability. The majority of oil and refined-product pipelines, vessel etc. have their protection system designs based on spring-type pressure relief valves. Thus, the proper design and operation of these valves is essential to ensure the safety of operations. In simple terms, these valves have a plates which is pressed by a spring against the inlet pressure of the pipes, vessels etc.& hold these plate with help of clip ON. This arrangement helps, in quick response to release the exceed pressure inside the vessel. In these case plate is subjected to two forces, at one side a spring force & at other side is vessel pressure force. When the pressure rises in the vessel, the force generated on that side is increases and at opposite side of plate the force exerted by the spring is already present, causing, the plate to rise & break the ‘’clip on’’ which is provided at back side of the plate and overpressure generated inside the pressure equipment is relief through the nozzle, so, line reducing the pressure level inside the equipment. The focus of this paper is to design, analyze and optimize a pressure vessel safety release valve which is" use as one time", which save bursting the pressure vessel. To simulate such a process, FEA is an extremely convenient tool which has reduced both the design costs and times to deliver the product. This paper explains the strategies used in the design of the safety release valve and results of the operational simulation in FEA.
1. “Design of Perforated Plates”W.J. O`Donnell, B.F. Langer; Journal of Engg. for Industry; Trans. ASME; Volume 84 (August 1962); Paper no.61-WA-115.
2. “A finite element Benchmark for the Dynamic Analysis of Perforated Plates with a Square Penetration Pattern”, D.L. Kaap, M.A. Sprague, R.L. Engelstad; Fusion Technology Institute University of Wiscons; UWFDM-1034 May 1997.
3. “Advance Mechanics of Materials” Arthur P. Boresi, Richard J. Schmidt, John Wiley & sons, Inc; sixth edition.
4. “Pressure Vessel Design Manual” Dennis Moss, ELSEVIER publications, third edition.
5. “Pressure Vessel Design” Guides and Procedures, P.V. Engineering.
6. “CASTI Guidebook Series - Vol. 4 to ASME Section VIII Div. 1 for Pressure Vessels” Bruce E. Ball, Will J. Carter, Third Edition (Covering 2001 Edition of ASME Section VIII Div. 1).
7. Introduction to “CHEMICAL EQUIPMENT DESIGN” Mechanical Aspects B.C.Bhattacharyya INDIAN INSTITUTE OFTECKNOLOGY KHARAGPUR CBS PUBLISHERS & DISTRIBUTORS PVT.LTD.
Pressure safety release Valve, clip ON spring design, Non- linear FEA