Detection of Tumor in Mammograms Using Canny Edge Detection Technique
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2014 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2014|
|Authors : Pratishtha Shrivastava , K.G.Kirar
Pratishtha Shrivastava , K.G.Kirar. "Detection of Tumor in Mammograms Using Canny Edge Detection Technique ", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V14(5),213-216 Aug 2014. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Mammography helps to provide some criteria in order to help the physicians to decide whether a certain tumor is malignant or benign. A mammogram is an x-ray of the breast tissue which is designed such that it can approximately identify the abnormalities. In mammograms selection of suspected area is easy as it looks brighter than its surrounding pixels.The method used for detecting tumor in breast is based on edge based segmentation for which we are using Canny Edge Detection Technique. The work proposed is based on the following procedure: (a)Removing the background information (b)Applying the edge detection technique and retrieving the largest ROI (c)After getting the close loops, filling is performed inorder to highlight the tumor (d) Performing the morphological operations which are erosion and dilation. This method was tested over multiple images and implemented using matlab code.
1. Detection of Malignancy in Digital Mammograms from Segmented Breast Region Using Morphological Techniques.. IOSR Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IOSR-JEEE) e-ISSN: 2278-1676,p-ISSN: 2320-3331, Volume 5, Issue 4 (May. - Jun. 2013), PP 09-12.
2. Early stage Detection of tumors in mammograms pawar b,v. and patil sushama . Electronics Dept., W.C.E. Sangli _ 416415(Maharashtra), India.
3. Naga R.Mudigonda, Rangaraj MRangayyan and J.E.Leo Desautel, “Gradient &Texture analysis for the classification of mammographic masses, IEEE trans. In MI, vol.19 no. 10 Oct 2000 pp. 1032’1042.
4. Approaches for automated detection and classification of masses in mammograms, H.D. Cheng,X,J Shi, R.Min,L.M. Hu, X.P. Cai , H.N. Du. Pattern Recognition 39 (2006) 646 – 668.
5. R.Chandrasekhar,Y.Attikiouzel,“Breast border Segmentation by Background Modeling and Subtraction”M.J.Yaffe(Ed), Proceedings of 5th (IWDM) International Workshop on Digital Mammography, Medical Physics Publishing, Toronto, Canada, 2000,pp.560-565.
6. Yao Yao, “Segmentation of Breast Cancer in Mammograms and Detection using Magnetic Resonance Imaging” .
7. Using The Canny Edge Detector for Feature Extraction and Enhancement of Remote Sensing Images. 0-7803-7031-7/01/$10.00 (C) 2001 IEEE
8. Hui Li, B. S. Manjunath, “A Contour-Based Approach to Multisensor Imge Registration,”. IEEE Trans. On Image processing Vol. 4 NO. 3, pp. 320-334 1995.
9. J. F. Canny, “A computational approach to edge detection,” IEEE Trans.Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 8:679-698, 1986.
10. Marr and E. Hildreth,” Theory of edge detection,“ Proc. R. Society B207,pp. 187--217, 1980.
11. Canny Edge Detection 09gr820,March 23, 2009.
12. Study and Comparison of Various Image Edge Detection Techniques. International Journal of Image Processing (IJIP), Volume (3) : Issue (1).
Mammogram, Canny Edge Detection, Morphological, ROI.