A review of Permanent control of embankment dam stability during construction
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2015 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2015|
|Authors : Abolfazl Kianpouri, Masoud dehghani|
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V22P262|
Abolfazl Kianpouri, Masoud dehghani"A review of Permanent control of embankment dam stability during construction", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V22(7),296-299 April 2015. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Permanent control of embankment dam stability during construction, the first impounding and also during utilization of the project, is a significant issue. Instrumentation of such dams which monitor the dam behavior, plays an important role in the dam stability. Regarding that an earth dam is a continuous structure with non-linear behavior, finite element method and appropriate soil modeling could be employed for non-linear analysis.Deformation of an earth dam is a complex process in which one should consider thenonlinear behaviour of the construction material, interaction between the structure andthe underlying soil and rock strata, influence of water load on the structure and on thefoundation bedrock, and the effects of water saturation. Also the deformations and stresses that develop in embankment dams duringthe construction phase are presented and illustrated by analyzing the behaviour of oneof the most important structures of the La Grande Hydroelectric Complex.
1. Jing L, Liang H, Li Y, Liu C. Characteristics and factors that
influenced damage to dams in the M s 8.0 Wenchuan earthquake.
2. Gu G, Shen C, Qin W. Earthquake engineering for earthrock dams. Beijing: China Water & Power Press; 2009.
3. Sarma SK. Stability analysis of embankments and slopes. Geotechnique 1973;23:423–33.
4. Sarma SK. Seismic stability of earth dams and embankments. Geotechnique 1975;25:743–61.
5. Spencer E. Earth slopes subjected to lateral acceleration. J GeotechGeoenvironEng 1978;104:1489–500.
6. Baker R, Shukha R, Operstein V, Frydman S. Stability charts for pseudo-static slope stability analysis. Soil DynEarthqEng 2006;26:813–23.
7. Leshchinsky D, San K-C. Pseudo-static seismic stability of slopes: design charts. J GeotechEngDiv 1994;120:1514–32.
8. VassilisGikas, Michael Sakellariou. Settlement analysis of the Mornos earth dam (Greece): Evidence from numerical modeling and geodetic monitoring. Engineering Structures 30 (2008) 3074– 3081.
9. Yong-Seong Kim, Min-Woo Seo, Chung-Won Lee, Gi-Chun Kang. Deformation characteristics during construction and after impoundment of the CFRD-type Daegok Dam, Korea. Engineering Geology 178 (2014) 1–14.
10. Bin Xu, Degao Zou, Huabei Liu. Three-dimensional simulation of the construction process of the Zipingpu concrete face rockfill dam based on a generalized plasticity model. Computers and Geotechnics 43 (2012) 143–154.
11. SZOSTAK-CHRZANOWSKI A., CHRZANOWSKI A. and MASSIERA M. 2003. Use of Geodetic Monitoring Measurements in Solving Geomechanical Problems in Structural and Mining Engineering. Proceedings, FIG 11-th International Symposium on Deformation Measurements, Santorini Island, Greece (in print).
12. SZOSTAK-CHRZANOWSKI A., MASSIERA M., CHRZANOWSKI A., LE HOAN F. 2002. Verification of design parameters of large earthen dams during the filling process. Proceedings, 2nd Canadian Specialty Conference on Computer Applications in Geotechnique, April 28.30, Winnipeg, MB: 54.59.
13. Société d`énergie de la Baie James. 1987. The La Grande Riviere Hydroelectric Complex, Phase One Development, Montréal, Québec, 467.
14. PARÉ J.J., BONCOMPAIN B., KONRAD J.M., VERMA N. S. 1982. Embankment compaction and quality control at James Bay hydroelectric development. Transportation Research Record 897: 8.15.
15. GARNEAU R., PARÉ J.J., VERMA N.S., CRUICKSHANK D. 1982. Behavior of the LG-4 main dam during construction. Proceedings of the 35th Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Montréal, September 28.30. Canadian Geotechnical Society, Rexdale, Ont., 258.278.
16. VERMA N.S., PARÉ J.J., BONCOMPAIN B., GARNEAU R., RATTUE A. 1985. Behaviour of the LG-4 main dam. Proceedings of the 11th ICSMFE, San Francisco, August 12.16. A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam, 4: 2049.2054.
17. PARÉ J.J., VERMA N.S., KEIRA H.M.S., MCCONNELL A. D. 1984. Stress-deformation prediction for the LG-4 main dam. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 21(2): 213.222.
18. MASSIÉRA M., BONCOMPAIN B., FAKHRI Y., LESSARD G. 1989. Comportement contraintes-déformations du barrage principal de LG-4. Proceedings of the 42nd Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Winnipeg, October 23.25. Canadian Geotechnical Society, Rexdale: 196.207.
19. BONCOMPAIN B., MASSIÉRA M. 1991. Déformation de noyaux de remblais zonés Durant la construction: influence du zonage et de la nature des matériaux, Vol. 2. Proceedings of the 44th Canadian Geotechnical Conference, September 29 . October 2. Canadian Geotechnical Society, Rexdale, Ont., 98. 1.98.8.
20. MASSIÉRA M., BONCOMPAIN B., MERHEB-HARB J. 1999. Interprétation des measures inclinométriques durant la construction des remblais zonés des ouvrages de retenue du Complexe La Grande, phase 1. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 36 (3): 533.543.
21. Seed, H.B. (1980), “Earthquake- Resistance Design of Earth Dams”, Symposium on Problems and Practice of Dam engineering, Bangkok, 41-59.
22. Seed, H.B., Wong, R.T., Idriss, I.M., Tokimetsu, K. (1986), “Moduli and Damping Factors for Dynamic Analysis of Cohesion less Soils”, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 112, No. 11, 1016-1022.
23. Mir Mohammad Hosseini, S.M., et al., (2003), “Dynamic and Static Properties of Mixed- Clay as Core Material of the Karkheh Large Embankment Dam”, Proc. 21?? ICOLD Congress, Question 83, R. 20, Montreal.
24. Iran Water and Power Resources Development Co., (2001), “The Summery of First Stage of Karkheh Large Embankment Dam’s Studies”.
Embankment dam, geotechnical parameters, deformation and stress modeling, stability of dam.