Technical Assessment on Performance of Partial Replacement of Coarse Aggregate by Steel Slag in Concrete
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2015 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2015|
|Authors : Prof. Warudkar Abhijit A., Mr. Nigade Y.M
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V30P208|
Prof. Warudkar Abhijit A., Mr. Nigade Y.M"Technical Assessment on Performance of Partial Replacement of Coarse Aggregate by Steel Slag in Concrete", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V30(1),37-41 December 2015. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Road Construction is an activity in which natural resources are used the most in comparison with else branches of Civil Engineering. Prominent quantities of natural materials, stone, rocks and sand are built into kilometres of roads or in reconstruction of frail roads. This paper presents the basic characteristics of slag, describes several of established investigate studies carried out so far, and analyses domestic experience and the possibilities of application of slag in road constructions. To solve the problem of greenhouse gas emission from industries we can reuse the wastes from industries and help environment. The effective manner is to use slag in concrete by replacing natural coarse aggregate. In this study, the replacement was done with coarse aggregate by steel slag for different proportions of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% for a M30 grade of concrete is used for a water cement ratio of 0.48. Tests for compressive strength at 7 days, 14days and 28 days are conducted on specimens. Split tensile strength and flexural strength are carried for 28 days. The optimum strength is obtained on 75% replacement of coarse aggregate by steel slag.
1. “Slag Use in Highway Construction – the Philosophy and
Technology of its
Utilization” George Wang1+ and Russell Thompson2 ISSN 1996-
6814 Int. J. Pavement Res. Technol. 4(2):97-103 Copyright @ Chinese
Society of Pavement Engineering
2. “Possibilities Of Application Of Slag In Road Construction” Ivana Bariši?, Sanja Dimter, Ivanka Netinger ISSN 1330-3651 UDC/UDK 628.4.043:625.8
3. “Strength and Durability of Concrete Using Steel Slag as a Partial Replacement of Coarse Aggregate in Concrete” K.Thangaselvi Assistant Professor, SCAD College of Engineering and Technology, Cheranmahadevi, Tamil Nadu, India. (IJARTET) Vol. 2, Issue 7, July 2015
4.“Flexural Behaviour Of Reinforced Concrete Slabs Using Steel Slag As Coarse Aggregate Replacement” P.Vasanthi1 1Asst.Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Sathyabama University, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
5.“International Conference “Waste Management, Environmental Geotechnology and Global Sustainable Development” (ICWMEGGSD`07 - GzO`07)” Ljubljana, SLOVENIA, August 28. - 3, 2007
6. “Akihiko Y, Takashi Y. Study of utilization of steel slag as coarse aggregate for concrete”. Akshikaya Kogyo Daigaku Kenkyu Shuroku 1996:23:79 / 85.
7. “Bipragorai, R.K. Jana, Premchand, “Characteristics and utilization of steel slag a review”. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 39 (2003) pp 299 – 313.
8. Caijun Shi, Christain Meyer, Ali Behnood, “Utilization of steel slag in cement concrete” Resources Conservation and Recycling 52 (2008) pp 1115 – 1120.
9. Caijun Shi, Jueshi Qian “High performance cementing material from industrial slags. Resources Conservation and Recycling 29 (2000) pp 195 – 207.
10. F. Li (1999), “Test research on steel slag concrete”, Natural science edition, J Fuzhou University 127(5), pp 59 – 62.
11. Hwang CL, Laiw JC. (1989) “Properties of concrete using steel slag as a substitute for fine aggregate”, the 3rd international conference, SP11482, pp 1677 – 95.
12. L.Zong (2003), “The replacement of granulated steel slag for coarse aggregate replacement in concrete”, J Qingdao Inst Architect Eng 24 (2) pp 20 – 22.
13. Teik Thye Lim, J. Chu, “Assessment of the use of spent steel slag for land reclamation”. Waste Manage Res 2006: 24: pp 67 – 73.
14. Washington Almeida Moura Jardel Pereira Gonc, Alves Monica batista Leite Lima, “Steel slag waste as a supplementary CA material to concrete” J Mater Sci (2007) 42: pp 2226 – 2230.
15. Mohammed Nadeem and Pofale, A.D., (2013), ‘Replacement of Natural Fine Aggregate with Granular Slag - A Waste Industrial y-product in cement mortar applications as an alternative Construction Materials’ , International Journal of Research in Engineering & Technology, Volume-2, Issue 5, pp.1258-1264.
16. Mohammed Nadeem and Arun D. Pofale, (2012), ‘ Experimental Investigation of Using Slag as an Alternative to Normal Aggregates (coarse and fine) in Concrete’, International journal of Civil and Structural Engineering, Volume 3, No 1, pp. 117-127.
17. Pazhani, K. and Jeyaraj, R., (2010), ‘Study on durability of high performance concrete with industrial wastes’, Applied Technologies & Innovations, Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp. 19-28.
18. Ansu John and Elson John (2013), ‘ Study on the Partial Replacement of Fine Aggregate using Induction Furnace Slag’, American Journal of Engineering Research, volume-4, Issue 1, pp.01-05.
19. Arivalagan,S., (2012), ‘Moment Capacity, Cracking Behaviour And Ductile Properties of Reinforced Concrete Beams Using Steel Slag As a Coarse Aggregate’, Global Journal of researches in engineering Civil And Structural engineering, Vol.12 Issue 2, pp. 14-20.
20. Arivalagan, S., (2012), ‘Flexural Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Beam Containing Steel Slag as Coarse Aggregate’, International Journal of Structural and Civil Engineering,Vol.1, Issue 1, pp.1-10.
21. Arivalagan, S., (2013), ‘Experimental Study on the Flexural behavior of reinforced concrete beams as replacement of Copper Slag as Fine Aggregate’, Journal of Civil Engineering and Urbanism, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.176-182.
22. Brindha, D., Baskaran,T and Nagan,S., (2010), ‘Assessment of Corrosion and Durability Characteristics of Copper Slag Admixed Concrete’, International Journal Of Civil And Structural Engineering, Vol. 1, no. 2, pp.192-211.
23. Chavan, R.R. and Kulkarni, D.B., (2013), ‘Performance of Copper Slag on Strength Properties as Partial Replace of Fine Aggregate in Concrete Mix Design’ , International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies,Volume.30, no.4,pp. 9
24. IS 456:2000, ‘Indian Standard ode of Plain and Reinforced Concrete Code of Practice’, Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi.
25.IS 383:1970, ‘Indian Standard Code of Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Sources for Concrete’, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
26. IS 2386:1963, ‘Indian Standard methods of test for aggregates for concrete’, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
Cement, Compressive Strength, Flexural Strength, Natural Coarse Aggregates, Split Tensile Strength, Steel Slag.