Optimization of Process Parameters during EDM of Stainless Steel 304 using Taguchi Method
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2016 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2016|
|Authors : V.Vikram Reddy, P.Vamshi Krishna, B.Shiva kumar, M.Shashidhar
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V31P219|
V.Vikram Reddy, P.Vamshi Krishna, B.Shiva kumar, M.Shashidhar"Optimization of Process Parameters during EDM of Stainless Steel 304 using Taguchi Method", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V31(2),106-114 January 2016. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
The present work aims to investigate the influence of process parameters such as peak current (I), pulse on time (Ton) and pulse off time (Toff) on performance measures namely, material removal rate (MRR), tool wear rate (TWR) and surface roughness (SR) during electrical discharge machining (EDM) of stainless steel 304 .Taguchi methodology has been employed for planning experiments and to obtain optimal combination of parameters using signal to noise ratios (S/N ratio). The level of influence of process parameters on performance measures has been identified with the help of analysis of variance (ANOVA). Further empirical equations were developed using non-linear regression analysis to denote functional relationship between dependent performance measures with the process parameters. Experimental results reveal that peak current pulse on time and pulse off time are significant parameters affecting MRR, TWR and SR. While pulse off time has no significant affect on TWR.
1. Assarzadeh, S.Ghoreishi, M. (2013) Statistical modeling and optimization of process parameters in electro-discharge machining of cobalt-bonded tungsten carbide composite (WC/6%Co). The Seventeenth CIRP Conference on Electro Physical and Chemical Machining, Procedia CIRP, 6: 464–469.
2. Ayesta, I. Izquierdo, B. Sánchez, J.A. (2013) Influence of EDM parameters on slot machining in C1023 aeronautical alloy. The Seventeenth CIRP Conference on Electro Physical and Chemical Machining, Procedia CIRP, 6: 129-134.
3. Chattopadhyay, K. D., Verma, S., Satsangi, P.S. and Sharma, P.C., “Development of empirical model for different process parameters during rotary electrical discharge machining of copper-steel (EN- 8) system”, J Mater Process Tech, Vo1.209, pp. 1454–1465, (2009).
4. Ghoreishi, M. and Atkinson, J., A comparative experimental study of machining characteristics in vibratory, rotary and vibro-rotary electro-discharge machining. J. Mater. Process. Tech., Vol.120, pp. 374-378, (2002).
5. Guu, Y.H. and Hocheng, H., “Effects of work piece rotation on machinability during electrical discharge machining”, J. Mater. Manuf. Processes, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 91–101, (2001).
6. Jabbaripour, B. (2012) Investigating the Effects of EDM Parameters on Surface Integrity, MRR and TWR in Machining of Ti–6Al–4V. Machining Science and Technology: An International Journal, 16(3): 419–444.
7. Kansal, H.K., Singh, S. and Kumar, P., An experimental study of the machining parameters in powder mixed electric discharge machining of Al–10%SiCP metal matrix composites, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 396–411, (2006).
8. Patel, K.M.; Pandey, P.M.; Rao, P.V. (2011) Study on Machinability of Al2O3 Ceramic Composite in EDM Using Response Surface Methodology. Journal of Engineering and Technology, Transactions of the ASME, 133(2): 1-10
9. Rajendran, S.; Marimuthu, K.; Sakthivel, M. (2013) Study of Crack Formation and Resolidified Layer in EDM Process on T90Mn2W50Cr45 Tool Steel. Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 28(6): 664-669.
10. Sanchez, H.T.; Estrems, M.; Faura, F. (2011) Development of an inversion model for establishing EDM input parameters to satisfy material removal rate, electrode wear ratio and surface roughness. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 57(1-4): 189– 201.
11. Vikram Reddy.V., Madar Valli, P., Kumar, A. and Sridhar Reddy, Ch., Influence of Process Parameters on Characteristics of Electrical Discharge Machining of PH17-4 Stainless Steel. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing systems 14, 189 (2015),
12. Wagh, P.B. Deshmukh, R.R. Deshmukh, S.D. (2013) Process parameters optimization for surface roughness in EDM for AISI D2 steel by response surface methodology. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering & Technology, 4(1): 203-208.
Taguchi Method, Metal Removal Rate, Tool Wear Rate, Surface Roughness, ANOVA, Regression Analysis.