Effect of cement and fine aggregate replacement with Alccofine and Bottom ash on mechanical properties of concrete
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2016 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2016|
|Authors : Abhishek Sachdeva, Gobind Khurana
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V32P232|
Abhishek Sachdeva, Gobind Khurana"Effect of cement and fine aggregate replacement with Alccofine and Bottom ash on mechanical properties of concrete", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V32(4),165-170 February 2016. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
The present investigation is planned to study the properties of concrete at fresh and hardened stage containing both Alccofine as a partial replacement of cement as well as coal bottom ash as a partial replacement of fine aggregates in concrete together in different combinations. An experimental programme is planned in which controlled concrete (MB1 mix) of grade M40 is designed, casted and tested for compressive strength after 28-days of curing. Three different mixes were prepared containing 20% (MB2 mix), 30% (MB3 mix) and 40% (MB4 mix) bottom ash as partial replacement of fine aggregates. From the workability and compressive strength test results, it was observed that both the workability and compressive strength reduced much for MB4 mix. Therefore, to study the effect of Alccofine as a partial replacement of cement, MB4 mix was selected. The cement was partially replaced by Alccofine by 5% (MB4AL5 mix), 10% (MB4AL10 mix), 15% (MB4AL15 mix) and 20% (MB4AL20 mix) along with the 40% bottom ash as a partial replacement of fine aggregate. Based on the analysis of test results, a reduction in workability and strength was observed by partially replacing fine aggregates with coal bottom ash. Workability, compressive strength and flexural strength improved in the concrete mix containing bottom ash as a partial replacement of fine aggregates along with the incorporation of Alccofine as a partial replacement of cement in concrete. The workability is decreased with the increase in the replacement level of fine aggregates with bottom ash but workability improved on partially replacing cement with alccofine upto 15% in the mix already containing bottom ash as a partial replacement of fine aggregates, after which it decreased. A high strength concrete was developed by using Alccofine as a partial replacement to cement along with the partial replacement of fine aggregates with bottom ash.
1. P. Aggarwal, Y. Aggarwal, S.M. Gupta, “Effect of Bottom Ash as Replacement of Fine Aggregates in Concrete”, Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Building and Housing), Vol. 8 (1), pp. 49-62, 2007.
2. M. Sani, F. Muftah, Z. Muda, “The Properties of Special Concrete Using Washed Bottom Ash (WBA) as Partial Sand Replacement”, International Journal of Sustainable Construction Engineering & Technology, Vol. 1 (2), pp. 65-76, 2010.
3. K. Arumugam, R. Ilangovan, D. James, “A study on characterization and use of Pond Ash as fine aggregate in Concrete”, International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering, Vol. 2 (2), pp. 466-474, 2011.
4. M.P. Kadam, Y.D. Patil, “Effect of Coal Bottom Ash as Sand Replacement on the Properties of Concrete with different W/C Ratio”, International Journal of Advanced Technology in Civil Engineering, Vol 2 (1), pp. 45-50, 2013.
5. S. Suthar, B.K. Shah, P.J. Patel, “Study on effect of Alccofine & Fly ash addition on the Mechanical properties of High performance Concrete”, International Journal for Scientific Research & Development, Vol. 1 (3), pp. 464- 467, 2013.
6. P. Nayak, H.S. Narashimhan, R.V. Kadaba, “Hardened Properties of Concretes made with Micro Silica and Alccofine - A Performance Optimization based Comparative Study”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, Vol. 10 (8), pp. 1-9, 2014.
7. M. Singh, R. Siddique, “Strength properties and micro-structural properties of concrete containing coal bottom ash as partial replacement of fine aggregate”, Construction and Building Materials, ELSEVIER, Vol. 50, pp. 246-256, 2014.
8. M.P. Kadam, Y.D. Patil, “The Effect of sieved Coal Bottom Ash as a Sand Substitute on the Properties of Concrete with Percentage Variation in Cement”, American Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Vol. 2 (5), pp. 160-166, 2014.
9. M. Hamraj, “Experimental Study on Binary Blended High Strength Steel Fibre-reinforced Concrete using Alccofine as Mineral Admixture”, International Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2 (8), pp. 56-62, 2014.
10. S.P. Upadhyay, M.A. Jamnu, “Effect on Compressive strength of High Performance Concrete Incorporating Alccofine and Fly Ash”, International Journal of Innovative Research & Development, Vol. 3 (2), pp. 124- 128, 2015.
Fine aggregates, coal bottom ash, cement, Alccofine, workability, compressive strength, flexural strength.