An Analysis of Cost Overruns and Time Overruns of Construction Projects in India
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2016 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2016|
|Authors : Anant Narayan Shete, Vaibhav Durwas Kothawade
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V41P208|
Anant Narayan Shete, Vaibhav Durwas Kothawade"An Analysis of Cost Overruns and Time Overruns of Construction Projects in India", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V41(1),33-36 November 2016. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
The purpose of this research is to assess causes and effects of cost and time overruns in construction projects. This study is descriptive, designed to obtain views from, consulting firms, regulatory boards and construction firms in regard to causes and effects of cost and time overruns in construction projects in India. The main aim of this paper is to identify the major reasons for cost overruns in construction projects in India as well as the critical success factors that are helping to avoid the cost overruns. For this, the existing literature is reviewed and critical success factors are identified. Based on them, survey questions and interview questions are prepared. The findings supported the proposed hypothesis, i.e., lack of certain critical success factors leads to cost overruns in construction projects in India. They also confirmed the proposed proactive and reactive strategies of some researchers. The effective critical success factors include appropriate planning in the initial stages, skills of contractors and architects, good relationship and regular coordination among client and contractor, and early contribution of contractor with the project. The ideal methods that help to reduce cost overruns include efficient planning, proper management of site and supervision of the project, suitable planning and arrangement of project, proper methods for construction, regular meetings on development of the project, and hiring proficient subcontractors and suppliers.
1) Ramanathan Chidambaram, and Narayanan Sambu Potty(2014), ?Qualitative analysis of Time delay and Cost overrun in Multiple Design and Build Projects International Conference Data Mining, Civil and Mechanical Engineering, Bali (Indonesia)
2) T.Subramani , P S Sruthi , M.Kavitha(2014), ?Causes of Cost Overrun In Construction 1 Professor & Dean, Department of Civil Engineering, VMKV Engg. College, Vinayaka Missions University, Salem, India 2 PG Student of Construction Engineering and management, Department of Civil Engineering, VMKV Engg. College,Vinayaka Missions University, Salem, India 3 Managing Director, Priyanka Associates, Civil Engineerng Consultant and Valuers, Salem.
3) Omayma Hashim Motaleb1 and Mohammed Kishk (2015) ?Controlling the Risk of Construction Delay 1. Faculty of Engineering, UAEU (United Arab Emirates University), Al Ain 20571, United Arab Emirates 2. The Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and Built Environment, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen AB10 7QB, UK
4) Amir Hossein Alavifar and Shadab Motamedi, (2014) ?Identification, Evaluation and Classification of Time Delay Risks of Construction Project in Iran 1. Risk management Department, BSTech Engineering Co.Yavari St, Resalat SQ, Tehran Iran 2. Mechanical Engineering Dept., Engineering Faculty UPM University, Serdang, Malaysia
5) N.Hamezah ,M.A.Khoiry,I . Arshad, N.M.Tawil and A.I. Che Ani (2011)?Causes of construction Delay Theoretical framework.
6) H. P. Moura, J. C. Teixeira, and B. Pires, ?Dealing With Cost and Time in the Portuguese Construction Industry, in CIB World Building Congress, 2007.
India, construction, critical success factors, cost overrun.