Thermo Mechanical Analysis of a Piston with Different Thermal Barrier Coating Configuration
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Dipayan Sinha, Susenjit Sarkar, Samar Chandra Mandal
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V48P260|
Dipayan Sinha, Susenjit Sarkar, Samar Chandra Mandal "Thermo Mechanical Analysis of a Piston with Different Thermal Barrier Coating Configuration", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V48(6),335-349 June 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Performance of an automobile depends on various aspects. Engine performance can be enhanced by minimizing weight of the automobile and maximizing the thermo mechanical capability of the engine components, especially the piston. In the present work a piston has been analyzed numerically with a FEA software named ANSYS Workbench to evaluate its thermo mechanical capability under a predefined thermal and structural load. To enhance the performance of the engine, weight of the piston has been kept minimum by optimizing different dimensions. In this process of optimization the stress has also been kept under a certain limit and this process of optimization has been done in a software named SolidWorks. To improve the thermal performance of the piston different Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC) have been imposed and their thermo mechanical performance have been evaluated through couple-field analysis in ANSYS. Many data has been generated regarding different dimensions of coatings with different material properties. These data may be used in further research to optimize material property and dimensions of Thermal Barrier Coating.
1. V B Bhandari, Design of machine elements, McGraw Hill Book Company, 3rd Edition.
2. V Ganesan, Internal Combustion Engine, McGraw Hill Book Company, 4th Edition.
3. R S Khurmi and J K Gupta, A Textbook Of Machine Design, S.Chand,14thEdition.
4. R.K Rajput, A Text book of Heat and Mass transfer
5. Ch.VenkataRajam, P.V.K.Murthy, M.V.S.Murali Krishna, G.M.PrasadaRao. ?Design Analysis and Optimization of Piston?International Journal of Innovative Research in Engineering & Science, ISSN 2319-5665, (January 2013, issue 2 volume 1)
6. Ajay Raj Singh , Dr. Pushpendra Kumar Sharma. ?Design, Analysis and Optimization of Three Aluminium Piston Alloys Using FEA, Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications www.ijera.comISSN : 2248-9622, Vol. 4, Issue 1( Version 3, January 2014, pp.94-102
8. Aditya KumarGupta ,Vinay Kumar Tripathi .?Design Analysis and Optimization of Internal Combustion Engine Piston using CAE tool ANSYS Aditya Kumar Gupta Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications www.ijera.comISSN : 2248-9622, Vol. 4, Issue 11(Version - 5), November 2014, pp.04-10
9. S. Srikanth Reddy, Dr. B. SudheerPrem Kumar ?Thermal Analysis and Optimization of I.C.Engine Piston Using Finite Element Method International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology (An ISO 3297: 2007 Certified Organization)ISSN: 2319-8753. Vol. 2, Issue 12,December2013
10. YaochenXu ,Mo Yang.?Structure Design and Simulation of Titanium Engine Piston Based on Thermal-Mechanical Coupling Model This work was carried out at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bleking Institute of Technology, Karlskron, Sweden under the supervision of Dr, Mats-Walte and doctoral student Massimo Panarotto. October 2012.
11. S. Bhattacharya, A. Basu, S. Chowdhury, Y.S. Upadhyaya ?ANALYSIS OF PISTON OF TWO STROKE ENGINE IJRET: International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. eISSN: 2319-1163 | pISSN: 2321-7308
12. Dr. L.N. Wankhade, VivekZolekar. ?Finite Element Analysis andOptimization of I.C. Engine Piston Using RADIOSS and OptiStruct Altair Technology conference, 2013 India.
13. Amit B. Solanki,Mrs.CharulaH.Patel, Abhishek Y. Makawana ?Design Analysis and Optimization of Hybrid Piston for 4 stroke Single Cylinder 10 HP (7.35 kW) Diesel Engine? International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT) – Volume 16 Number 6 – Oct 2014
14. SasiKiranPrabhala, K. Sunil Ratna Kumar, ?DESIGN AND WEIGHT OPTIMIZATION OF IC ENGINE Prabhala et al, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies. E-ISSN2249–8974
15. DeovratVibhandik, Ameya Pradhan, SampadaMhaskar, Nikita Sukthankar,AtulDhale ?Design Analysis and Optimization of Piston and Determination of its Thermal Stresses Using CAE Tools?, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING SCIENCES & RESEARCH TECHNOLOGY, ISSN: 2277-9655,Scientific Journal Impact Factor: 3.449,(ISRA), Impact Factor: 1.852
16. Vaishali R. Nimbarte, Prof. S.D. Khamankar, ?STRESS ANALYSIS OF PISTON USING PRESSURE LOAD AND THERMAL LOAD, IPASJ International Journal of Mechanical Engineering (IIJME),Web Site: http://www.ipasj.org/IIJME/IIJME.htm,Volume 3, Issue 8, August 2015 ISSN 2321-6441
17. K Venkateswara Rao, BaswarajHasu, Modeling, Analysis and Optimization of Diesel Engine Piston IJREAT International Journal of Research in Engineering & Advanced Technology, Volume 2, Issue 1, Feb-Mar, 2014. ISSN: 2320 – 8791www.ijreat.org
18. VinodYadav,Dr. N. D. Mittal, Design and Analysis of Piston Design for 4 Stroke Hero Bike Engine International Journal of Engineering Innovation & Research Volume 2, Issue 2, ISSN: 2277 – 5668
19. KethavathVishal,DineshBajaj,A.Sai Kumar; ?Design and Structural Analysis of Composite Piston, International Journal & Magazine of Engineering, Technology, Management and Research, ISSN No: 2348-4845.
20. Dilip Kumar Sonar,MadhuraChattopadhyay, ?Theoretical Analysis of Stress and Design of Piston Head using CATIA & ANSYS?,International Journal of Engineering Science Invention ISSN (Online): 2319 – 6734, ISSN (Print): 2319 – 6726 www.ijesi.org ||Volume 4 Issue 6|| June 2015 || PP.52-61
21. Hitesh pandey1, Avin Chandrakar2, PM Bhagwat, ?Thermal Stress Analysis of a Speculative IC Engine Piston using CAE Tools?, Int.Journal of Engineering Research and Applications www.ijera.com ISSN : 2248-9622, Vol. 4, Issue 11(Version - 5), November 2014, pp.60-64
22. R. Bhagat, Y. M. Jibhakate ?Thermal Analysis And Optimization Of I.C. Engine Piston Using finite Element Method? International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) www.ijmer.com ISSN: 2249-6645 Vol.2, Issue.4, July-Aug 2012 pp-2919-2921
24. MuhammetCerit,?Thermo mechanical analysis of a partially ceramic coated piston used in an SI engine?,www.elsevier.com/locate/surfcoatSurface & Coatings Technology 205 (2011) 3499–3505
25. M. Cerit, V.Ayhan, A.Parlak, H.Yasar, ?Thermal analysis of a partially ceramic coated piston: Effect on cold start HC emission in a spark ignition engine?,www.elsevier.com/locate/apthermengApplied Thermal Engineering 31 (2011) 336e341
26. G. Sivakumar, S. Senthil Kumar, ?Investigation on effect of Yttria Stabilized Zirconiacoated piston crown on performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine?. www.elsevier.com/locate/aej , www.sciencedirect.comAlexandria Engineering Journal (2014) 53, 787–794
27. T. Hejwowski, A. Weronski, ?The effect of thermal barrier coatings on dieselengine performance?,www.elsevier.com/locate/vacuum Vacuum 65 (2002) 427–432
28. S.Lakshmanan, G.RanjithBabu, S. Sabesh, M.Manikandan; ?Investigation of Thermal Barrier Coating on I.CEngine Piston, International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology(IJRASET), www. ijraset.com,Special Issue-1, October 2014SJ Impact Factor-3.995, ISSN: 2321-9653
29. Ravinder Reddy Pinninti, ?Temperature and Stress Analysis of CeramicCoated SiC-Al Alloy Piston Used in a Diesel Engine Using FEA?, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science,Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, Issue 8, August 2015,ISSN(Online) : 2319-8753, ISSN (Print) : 2347-6710
30. EkremBuyukkaya, MuhammetCerit, ?Thermal analysis of a ceramic coating diesel engine piston using 3-D finite element method www.elsevier.com/locate/surfcoat, Surface & Coatings Technology 202 (2007) 398–402
FEA, ANSYS, TBC, Thermo-mechanical analysis, Solidworks, Optimization.