Interpretation of Modified Shear Failure in RC Beams
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : N S V Satyanarayana, G Papa Rao, L Venkat
N S V Satyanarayana, G Papa Rao, L Venkat "Interpretation of Modified Shear Failure in RC Beams", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V49(5),273-278 July 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Present study describes an investigation into the causes of shear failure of reinforced concrete beams subjected to two point loading with shear span/depth ratio greater than 2.5. In this investigation tests are carried out on four reinforced concrete beams labelled as B1, B2, B3 and B4 are identical in geometry, flexural reinforcement, material properties and test details. The only variable is shear stirrups spacing along the member length. Strength and performance of beams with various arrangements of stirrups are verified. An experimental study of beams with various arrangements of shear stirrups has indicated that the predicted behaviour is incompatible with the concept of shear capacity at critical sections that forms the basis of current shear design procedures. The results obtained support the view that shear failure is associated with the development of tensile stresses within the compressive zones of the beams.
1. Kotsovos, Michael D.“Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Shear Span to Depth Ratio between 1.0 and 2.5 , “ACI Journal , proceedings V. 81 , No . 3, May-June 1984,pp. 279-286.
2. Kotsovos, Michael D., “Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Shear Span to Depth Ratio greater than 2.5 , , “ACI Journal , proceedings V.83 , November-December 1986.
3. Kotsovos, Michael D., Shear failure of reinforced Concrete Beams , “Engineering structures(Guildford),V.9, No.1,Jan.1987.
4. Kotsovos, Michael D., “Mechanisms of Shear failure,” magazine of Concrete Research, V . 35, No. 123, June 1983, pp.99-106.
5. Fenwick, R. C., and paulay, Thomas, Sr., “Mechanisms of Shear resistance of Concrete Beams,” proceedings, ASCE, V.94, ST10, Oct.1968, pp. 2325-2350.
6. Taylor, H.P.J. “Shear resistance in concrete beams without shear reinforcement,” Technical report No.TRA 407, Cement and Concrete Association, London, Feb. 1968,23 pp.
7. Bedrad, Claude, and Kotsovos, Michael D., “Fracture Process of Concrete for NLFEA Methods,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, V.112,No. 3, Mar. 1986. Pp. 573-587.
8. Bedrad, Claude, and Kotsovos, Michael D., “Applications of NLFEA to Concrete Structures,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, V.111, No. 12, Dec. 1985, pp. 2691-2707.
9. Ktsovos, M.D.,; “A Fundamental Explanation of the Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Beams in Flexure Based on the properties of Concrete under Multiaxial Stresses, “Materials and structures, Research and Testing (RILEM, Paris), V. 15 No. 90, Nov-Dec.1982,pp. 529-537.
10. Design Of R.C.C. Structural Elements: Vol.1 by s. s .Bhavikati, limit state of reinforced concrete by p.c. Varghese.
11. IS 456: 2000, “Plain and Reinforced Concrete– Code of Practice”, New Delhi, India: Bureau of Indian Standards, July 2000.
12. Design aids for Reinforced Concrete to IS: 456-1978 BUREAU of Indian Standards Bahadur shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi 110 002.
13. Akash D.Shah, Hitesh k. Dhamaliya (volume 46 number 8 April 2017) “Parametric Study of Multistorey tall building using Composite member and Conventional member”, International Journal of Trends and Technology.
shear stirrups, shear capacity, finite element, reinforcement.