Effect of Divergence Angle on the Performance and Flow Analysis of 3D Annular Diffuser of an Aircraft Engine using CFD Technique
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Sharan Padashetty, Pravin Honguntikar, K. Rajagopal
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V49P251|
Sharan Padashetty, Pravin Honguntikar, K. Rajagopal "Effect of Divergence Angle on the Performance and Flow Analysis of 3D Annular Diffuser of an Aircraft Engine using CFD Technique", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V49(6),335-344 July 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
The performance characteristics of diffusers depends on their geometry and the inlet conditions. The present investigation attempts to select an optimal divergence angle of diffuser. This is analysed on the basis of static pressure recovery and total pressure loss coefficients. Simulation of air flow in various annular diffuser geometry is carried out using ANSYS FLUENT. The geometric limitations of the aircraft engines in which the diffusers are to be designed so as to get maximum pressure recovery within shortest possible length led to the design and development of annular diffuser.
1. Kline S.J. on the nature of stall. Trans. ASME Ser. D, 1959, 81, 305-320.
2. Cherry EM, Elkins CJ, Eaton JK, 2008. “Geometric Sensitivity of 3D separated flows”, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 29, 803-811.
3. Sovran G and Klomp ED, Fluid Mechanics of Internal Flow, edited by Sovran G. (Elsevier Science Publisher, Amstradam), 1967, 270.
4. Jason J. Dunn, 2007, “On the nature of flow in separated annular diffuser”, BSAE University of Central Florida, Orlando.
5. SN Singh, V Sheshadri, K Saha, KK Vempati and S Bharani, “Effect of inlet swirl on the performance of annular diffuser having same equivalent cone angle”, Vol.220, 2005, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 129-143.
6. A Sheeba, V Ganesan, “Modelling of annular pre-diffuser for marine gas turbine combustor with CFD”, Journal of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, 2005, 41-52.
Annular diffuser, Gas turbine aircraft engine, divergence angle, static pressure recovery coefficient, velocity vector contours.