A Smart Framework for Agriculture Production Improvement using Web of Things
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : A.Navya Sai Sri, P.Ammi Reddy
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V50P241|
A.Navya Sai Sri, P.Ammi Reddy "A Smart Framework for Agriculture Production Improvement using Web of Things", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V50(5),251-259 August 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Internet of Things (IoT) has revolutionized many fields in the recent past. It addresses many aspects related to the data management, storage and connectivity. This work will focus on the application of IoT to automatic irrigation system. The system will use a microcontroller, preferably of 32-bit. Microcontroller uses wireless sensor nodes placed in the farm and collects information such as temperature, soil moisture, water level, pressure, humidity. This information gathered is then stored on cloud. Microcontroller uses a WiFi module connected in station mode. The WiFi module establishes a connection to a router and posts the data periodically to the cloud. It uses the common IEEE 802.11 standard protocol stack for communication between device and the internet. Data transmitted to the cloud can be used to control the irrigation. The system can be further extended to alert the farmer to take necessary steps according to the weather parameters. Lolin Node MCU is used as the Microcontroller. Node MCU uses ESP8266 wifi module which uses Tensilica’s L106 Diamond series 32-bit processor, with on-chip SRAM, besides the WiFi functionalities. The GPIO pins of the ESP8266 can be used to interface sensor nodes.
1. Xin Dong, Mehmet C. Vuran, and Suat Irmak, “Autonomous precision agriculture through integration of wireless underground sensor networks with center pivot irrigation systems.” Ad Hoc Networks, Volume 11, Issue 7, September 2013, Pages 1975–1987
2. Robert Olsson, “A Practical Guide to Wireless IEEE 802.15.4 Networks”, Available: http://herjulf.se/products/WSN/sensors/wsn_practical_guide.html.
3. Aalaa Abdullah, Shahad Al Enazi and IssamDamaj, “AgriSys: A Smart and Ubiquitous ControlledEnvironment Agriculture System” 2016 3rd MEC International Conference on Big Data and Smart City
4. MinwooRyu, Jaeseok Yun, Ting Miao, Il-YeupAhn, SungChan Choi, Jaeho Kim, Design and Implementation of a Connected Farm for Smart Farming System” DOI: 978--4799-8203-5/15/2015 IEEE.
5. Nilesh R. Patel, Pratik G. Choudhari, Pawan D. Kale, Nikesh R. Patel, Gauravkumar N. Raut, AsifBherani “Smart Design of Microcontroller Based Monitoring System for Agriculture” 2014 International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies [ICCPCT].
6. M.K.Gayatri, J.Jayasakthi, Dr. G.S.Anandha Mala “Providing Smart Agricultural Solutions to Farmers for better yielding using IoT 2015 IEEE International Conference on Technological Innovations in ICT for Agriculture and Rural Development (TIAR 2015).
7. S. R. Nandurkar, V. R. Thool, R. C. Thool, “Design and Development of Precision Agriculture System Using Wireless Sensor Network”, IEEE International Conference on Automation, Control, Energy and Systems (ACES), 2014.
8. JoaquínGutiérrez, Juan Francisco Villa-Medina, Alejandra Nieto-Garibay, and Miguel ÁngelPorta-Gándara, “Automated Irrigation System Using a Wireless Sensor Network and GPRS Module”,IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT, 0018-9456,2013.
9. Dr. V .VidyaDevi,G. MeenaKumari, “Real- Time Automation and Monitoring System for Modernized Agriculture” ,International Journal of Review and Research in Applied Sciences and Engineering (IJRRASE) Vol3 No.1. PP 7-12, 2013.
10. Y. Kim, R. Evans and W. Iversen, “Remote Sensing and Control of an Irrigation System Using a Distributed Wireless Sensor Network”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, pp. 1379–1387, 2008.
11. Q. Wang, A. Terzis and A. Szalay, “A Novel Soil Measuring Wireless Sensor Network”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, pp. 412–415, 2010.
12. Yoo, S.; Kim, J.; Kim, T.; Ahn, S.; Sung, J.; Kim, D. A2S: Automated agriculture system based on WSN. In ISCE 2007. IEEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, 2007, Irving,TX, USA, 2007.
13. Arampatzis, T.; Lygeros, J.; Manesis, S. A survey of applications of wireless sensors and Wireless Sensor Networks. In 2005 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control & 13th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation. Limassol, Cyprus, 2005, 1-2, 719-724.
14. Orazio Mirabella and Michele Brischetto, 2011. “A Hybrid Wired/Wireless Networking Infrastructure for Greenhouse Management”, IEEE transactions on instrumentation andmeasurement, vol. 60, no. 2, pp 398-407.
15. N. Kotamaki and S. Thessler and J. Koskiaho and A. O. Hannukkala and H. Huitu and T. Huttula and J. Havento and M. Jarvenpaa(2009). “Wireless in-situ sensor network for agriculture and water monitoring on a river basin scale in Southern Finland: evaluation from a data users perspective”. Sensors 4, 9: 2862-2883. doi:10.3390/s90402862 2009.
16. Liu, H.; Meng, Z.; Cui, S. A wireless sensor network prototype for environmental monitoring in greenhouses. International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCom 2007), Shangai, China; 21-25 September 2007.
17. Baker, N. ZigBee and bluetooth - Strengths and weaknesses for industrial applications. Comput. Control. Eng. 2005, 16, 20-25.
18. IEEE, Wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications for lowrate wireless personal area networks (LR-WPANs). In The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.: New York, NY, USA, 2003.
19. Tien-Wen Sung, Ting-Ting Wu, Chu-Sing Yang, YuehMinHuang “Reliable data broadcast for zigbee wirelesssensor networks”, International journal on smart sensing andintelligent systems, vol. 3, no. 3, September 2010.
20. MukeshTiwari, GouravMudgal, “Wireless Personal Area Network Node Design and Simulation for Lab automation using 2.4 GHz Transceiver Module”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications Vol. 2, Issue 1,Jan-Feb 2012, pp.1035-1039
Internet of Things (IoT).