Sleep scoring system and its classification by using EMG signals – A review
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Hemu Farooq, Dr. Anuj Jain
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V51P216|
Hemu Farooq, Dr. Anuj Jain "Sleep scoring system and its classification by using EMG signals – A review", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V51(2),88-92 September 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Proper analysis of sleep scoring system and its stages can give clinical information on diagnostic patients with sleep disorders. Since, manual sleep stage classification is a tedious process that takes a lot of time to sleep experts performing data analysis on this field. Moreover errors and inconsistencies between classifications of same data are frequent. Due to this, there is a great need of automatic classification system to support reliable classification. Automatic schemes based on EMG (Electromyography signals) analysis are discussed in order to understand the problem associated with sleep scoring and its stages. EMG is an electro diagnostic medicine technique for evaluating and recording of the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles. EMG is performed using an instrument called electromyograph to produce record called electromyogram. These signals can be utilized to detect medical abnormalities, activation level or to analyze the biomechanics of human movement. This review provides an overview in using biomedical signal that is EMG signal for the sleep analysis.
1. ZT. Yeh, RP. Chiang, SC. Kang, CH. Chiang “Development of the Insomnia Screening Scale based on ICSD-II.”, Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract , 16(4), pp. 259-267, Oct. 2012.
2. HJ. Park, JS. Oh, DU. Jeong, KS. Park “Automated Sleep Stage Scoring Using Hybrid Rule- and Case-Based Reasoning.”, Computers and Biomedical Research , 33, pp. 330-349, 2000.
3. David T. Krausman, Bel Air, Richard P. Allen, “Sleep Scoring apparatus and method. Google Patents,” 12 April 2005.
4. Vani Rao, M.D., Alyssa Bergey, B.A., Hugh Hill, M.D., David Efron, M.D., and Una McCann, M.D. Clinical Research Reports, Sleep Disturbance After Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: Indicator of Injury? he Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 23: 2; 201-205, 2011.
5. Penzel, T., Conradt, R., Computer based sleep recording and analysis. Sleep Med. Rev. 4:131-138, 2000.
6. Moser, D., Anderer, P., Gruber, G., Parapaties, S., Loretz, E., Boeck, M., Danker-Hopfe, H., “Sleep Classification according to AASM and Rechtschaffen and Kales: effects on sleep scoring parameters”, Sleep, 2009, 32(2), pp.139-149.
7. Tagluk, M. E., Sezgin, N., and Akin, M., “Estimation of Sleep Stages by an Artificial Neural Network employing EEG, EMG, EOG”, Journal of Medical System, 2010, 34(4), pp.717-725.
8. Carskadon, M. A., and Rechtschaffen, A., “Monitoring and staging human sleep. In: Kryger, M. H., Roth, T., and Dement, W. C. (Eds.), Principles and practice of sleep medicineof sleep medicine, 4th edition, Philadelphia, 2005.
9. Gulshan, Ruchika Thukral, Manmohan Singh, “Analysis of EMG signals based on wavelet transform- A Review”, Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, ISSN-2349-5162, 2015.
10. W.H.J.P. Stegeman, D.F. Stegeman, E.M.G. Joosten, S.L.H. Van’t Hof, M.A. Binkhorst, R.A., “Variability and interrelation of Surface EMG parameters during local muscle fatigue”, Muscle and Nerve 1993, 16(8), pp.849-856.
11. Shaikh Anowarul Fattah, A. B. M. Sayeed Ud Doulah, Md. Asif Iqbal and Celia Shahnaz, Wei-Ping Zhuand M. Omair Ahmad”, Identification of Motor Neuron Disease Using Wavelet Domain Features Extracted from EMG Signal”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Beijing, 19-23 May 2013, pp. 1308 – 1311.
12. Mambrito, B., and De Luca, C.J., “A technique for the detection, decomposition and analysis of the EMG Signal”, Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 1984, 58(2), pp.175-188.
13. Praveen Lakkur Srinivasa, Nagananda S. N, Govind R. Kadambi, Hariharan R., Preetham Shankpal, Shankapal S. R.,“Development of Two Degree of Freedom (DOF) Bionic Hand for Below Elbow Amputee”,Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies, Bangalore, 17-19 Jan. 2013, pp.1-6.
14. Chetas D. Joshi, Uttama Lahiri and Nitish V. Thakor, “Classification of Gait Phases from Lower Limb EMG: Application to Exoskeleton Orthosis”,IEEE Transactions on Point-of-Care Healthcare Technologies, Bangalore, 16-18 Jan. 2013, pp. 228-231.
15. Ashmeet Kaur, Navneet Kaur Panag, “ Different techniques for the segmentation of the EMG signals”, International Journal of Engineering and Management Research, 15-19, 2015.
16. Shahid, S., “Higher order statistics techniques applied to EMG signal analysis and characterization, Ph.D thesis, university of Limerick; Ireland, 2004.
17. Reaz, M.B.I., Hussain, M.S., Mohd. Yasin, F., “Techniques of EMG Signal Analysis: detection, processing, classification, and application”, Biological Procedures Online, 2006, 8(1), pp.11-35.
18. Eric A. Nofzinger, Jeffrey J., Damian F., “ Apparatus and method for modulating sleep. Google Patents”, 2015.
19. Conor Heneghan, Conor Hanley, Niall Fox, “Apparatus, System and method of monitoring physiological signs. Google Patents”, 2013.
20. Park H. J., J. S. Oh, D.U. Jeong, K.S. Park “Automated Sleep Stage Scoring Using Hybrid Rule- and Case-Based Reasoning.”, Computers and Biomedical Research, 33, pp. 330-349, 2000.
21. Byoung Hoon Choi, Jin Woo Seo, Kwang Suk Park, “ Non-Constraining sleep/wake monitoring system using bed actigraphy. Medical and Biological Engineering and computing. Google Patents”, 2006.
22. Silber, M. H., Ancoli-Isreal, S., Bonnet, M.H., Chokroverty, S., Grigg-Damberger, M.M., Hirshkowitz, M., Penzel, T., “The visual Scoring of Sleep in Adults”, J Clin Sleep Med, 2007, 3(2), pp.121-131.
23. Luana Novelli, Raffaele Ferri, Oliviero Bruni, “Sleep classification according to AASM and R and K: effects on sleep scoring parameters of adults”, Journal of sleep research, 2010, pp. 238-247.
24. Doris Moser, Peter Anderer, Georg Gruber, Georg Dorffner, “Sleep classification according to AASM and Rechtschaffen and Kales”, Sleep, March 2009, 32. 2. 139.
25. Popovic, D., Khoo M. Westbroot, “Automatic Scoring of sleep stages and cortical arousals using two electrodes on forehead”, Sleep Research, 23(2): 211-21, 2014.
26. Federico Meduri, Matteo Beretta-Piccoli, Luca Calanni, “Inter-Gender EMG evaluation of central and peripheral fatigue in biceps brachii of young healthy subjects. Google Patents”, 2016.
27. Srinivasa, Nagananda S. N, Govind R. Kadambi, Hariharan R., Preetham Shankpal, Shankapal S. R.,“Development of Two Degree of Freedom (DOF) Bionic Hand for Below Elbow Amputee,” Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies, Bangalore, 17-19 Jan. 2013.
28. Md. Rezwanul Ahsan, Muhammad Ibn Ibrahimy, Othman O. Khalifa, “Electromyography (EMG) Signal based Hand Gesture Recognition using Artificial Neural Network (ANN)”, Proceedings of International Conference on Mechatronics (ICOM), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 17-19 May 2011.
29. Nikias C. N., Raghuveer M. R., “A digital signal processing frame work”, IEEE Proceeding on Communication and Radar, 75(7): 869-891.
30. Kexin Xing, Qi Xu, Yegui Lin,“ Identification Scheme of Surface Electromyography of Upper Limb Movement”, Journal of Networks, Vol. 8, No. 4, April 2013.
31. Chetas D. Joshi, Uttama Lahiri and Nitish V. Thakor, “Classification of Gait Phases from Lower Limb EMG: Application to Exoskeleton Orthosis”, IEEE Transactions on Point-of-Care Healthcare Technologies, Bangalore, 16-18 Jan. 2013, pp. 228-231.
32. Mehrnaz Shokrollahi, Sridhar Krishna, “Non-Stationary signal feature characterization using adaptive dictionaries and non- negative matrix factorization”, Signal, Image and Video processing, pp. 1025-1032, 2016.
33. A. A. Samadani, D. Kulic, “Hand gesture recognition based on surface electromyography”, IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2014; 2014:4196-9.
34. Kazuo Kiguchi, Yoshiaki Hayashi, “Motion Estimation based on EMG and EEG signa to control wearable Robots”, IEEE International conference on systems, pp. 4213-4218, 2013.
35. C. Iber, S. Ancoli, A. Chesson, S. F. Quan, “The AASM Manual for scoring of sleep and associated events”, American Academy of sleep medicine, 2007.
36. W. Dement, N. Kleitman, “Cyclic variations in EEG during sleep and their relation to eye movements, body motility and dreaming”, Electro-encephalography Clin Neurophysical, 9(4):673-90.
37. Hirshkowitz, M., “Normal human sleep: An overview”, Med Clin North Am., 2004; 88(3): 551-65.
Sleep scoring system, Sleep Stage Classification, EMG Signals.