Effects of Marble Powder and Fine Sand on Properties of Expansive Soil
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Dhruv Saxena
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V52P203|
Dhruv Saxena "Effects of Marble Powder and Fine Sand on Properties of Expansive Soil", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V52(1),12-16 October 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Considerable efforts have been made to improve the properties of Expansive soils. This paper presents the effects of marble powder and sand on compaction characteristics, Atterberg’s limit, California bearing ratio, permeability and shear strength parameters of clay soil. The clay soil was mixed with marble powder and sand from 30% to 50% and 20% to 40% respectively at an interval of 10%. From the analysis of test results it was found that, liquid limit, plasticity index, optimum moisture content, permeability and cohesion decreased and plastic limit, shrinkage limit, maximum dry density, California bearing ratio and angle of internal friction increased with an increase in marble powder content. From the economic analysis it was found that, marble powder up to 20% is optimum for sand mixed with clayey soil which can be used in strengthening the sub grade of flexible pavements to save the cost of construction.
1) Eskioglou, Panagiotis Ch. (1996). Influence of soil type on stabilization with marble dust for forest road construction. Department of Forestry and Natural Environment, Thessaloniki.
2) Sabat, Akshaya Kumar and Nanda, Radhikesh P. (2005). Effect of marble dust on strength and durability of rice husk ash stabilized expansive soil. Internat. J. Civil & Structural Engg., 1(4) : 939- 948.
3) Baser O (2009) Stabilization of expensive soils using waste marble dust. MSc Thesis in Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara.
4) AK Mishra, R Mathur, YV Rao, AP Singh and P Goel, A New Technology for Marble Slurry Waste Utilisation. in Roads, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2010, 69, 67-72.
5) NA Joulani, Effect of Stone Powder and Lime on Strength, Compaction and CBR Properties of Fine Soils, Jordan Journal of Civil Engineering, 2012, 6(1), 1-16.
6) R.P. Arora, N.K. Ameta and Kapil K. Samar (2014), ?Enhancement of Engineering characteristics by use of marble slurry in udaipur region research paper, International Journal of Agricultural Engineering.
7) Muthu Kumar M, Tamilarasan V S (2015), ?Experimental Study on Expansive Soil with Marble Powder. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT) – Volume 22 Number 11 - April 2015.
8) Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, by Dr. K.R. Arora.
9) Altmeyer, W.T. (1955), ?Discussion of Engineering properties of expansive clays, PocASCE.
Soil, Marble powder, Sand, Compaction Characteristics, California Bearing Ratio, Permeability, Shear strength parameters.