Computational Analysis for Predicting Scouring Around Cuboid Shaped Pier in a Stream
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Dhruv Saxena
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V52P220|
Dhruv Saxena "Computational Analysis for Predicting Scouring Around Cuboid Shaped Pier in a Stream", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V52(2),126-136 October 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Scour around bridge piers as a result of flooding is the most common cause of bridge failure (Richardson and Davis, 1995; Johnson and Dock, 1996; Lagasse et. al., 1995; Melville and Hadfield, 1999). The bridge failures result in excessive repairs, loss of accessibility, or even death (Chiew, 1995). The potential cost including human toll and monetary cost of bridge failure due to scour damage has highlighted the need for better scour prediction and protection methods. A large depth of foundation is required for bridge piers to overcome the effect of scour which is a costly proportion. Therefore, for safe and economical design, scour around the bridge piers is required to be controlled. In this article we have analysed various vulnerable zones formed due to the flow of water in channel.
1. Ahmed, F., and Rajaratnam N.. Flow around Bridge Piers, Am. Soc. Civ. Engrg., J. Hydr. Engrg, 1998, 124(3), 288-300.
2. Ansys online user guides.
3. Baker, C. J. ?New Design Equations for scour around bridge piers, ASCE Journal of the Hydraulics Division.
4. Bonasoundas, Dr. Ing.. Flow structure and scour problem at circular bridge piers, 1973, Report No; 28, Oskar Von, Miller Institute, Munich Technical University.
5. Brice, J. C., Bloggett, J.C. and others.Countermeasures for Hydraulic Problems at Bridge Piers, 1978, Vol. 1 and 2,FHWA-78-162 & 163, 1978, Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of transportation, Washington, D.C.
6. Breusers, H.N.C., Nicollet, G. and Shen, H.W. Local scour around cylindrical piers, J. Hydr. Res., Delft, The Netherlands, 1977,15(3), pp. 211-252.
7. Catia online user guides.
8. Chabert, J. and Engeldinger, P.. Etude des affouillement autour des Piles des ponts (Study on Scour around bridge piers), Laboratoire National d’Hydraulique, Chatou, 1956, France.
9. Chang, F.F.M., (1980) ?Scour at Bridge Piers – Field Data from Loisian Files?, Washington.
10. Chang, H.H.. Fluvial processes in river engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 1998, 432p.
11. Chiew Y.M. “Mechanics of Riprap Failure at Bridge Piers?, J. of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 121, No. 9, 1995, pp. 635-643.
12. Chiew, Y.M. Scour Protection at Bridge Piers, J. Hydr. Engrg., ASCE, 1992, 118(9), 1260-1269.
13. Chiew Y.M. and Lim, F. H. ?Failure Behavior of Riprap Layer at Bridge Piers under Live-Bed Conditions?, J. Hydr. Engrg, ASCE, 2000, 126(1), 43-55.
14. Croad, R.N. Bridge Pier Scour Protection Using Riprap, Central Laboratories Report No. PR3-0071, 1993, Works Consultancy Services, N.Z.
15. Dargahi, B., Controlling Mechanism of Local Scouring, J. Hydr. Engrg, ASCE, 1990, 116(10), 1197-1214.
16. Dey, S. Local Scour at Piers, part I: A Review of Developments of Research, IRTCES, Int. J. Sediment Res., 1997, 12(2), 23-44.
17. Ettema, R. ?Scour at Bridge Piers, 1980, Report No. 216, School of Engrg., University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zeeland.
18. Elliott K.R., and Baker, C.J., (1985) ?Effect of pier spacing on scour around bridge piers, ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering.
19. Garde, R.J. and Kothyari, U.C., State of art report on scour around bridge piers, 1995, Pune, India.
20. Grade, R.J., (1961) ?Local Bed Variation at Bridge Piers in Alluvial Channels, University of Roorkee Research Journal.
21. Graf, W.H. and Istiarto, Flow Pattern in the Scour Hole around a Cylinder, Journal of Hydraulic Research, 2002,Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 13-20.
22. Gupta, A.K. and Gangadharaiah, T. Local scour reduction by a delta wing-lick passive device, 1992, Proc., 8th Congr. of Asia and Pacific Reg. Div., 2, CWPRS, Pune, India, pp. B471-B481.
23. Hadfield, A.C. Sacrificial piles as a bridge pier scour countermeasure, 1997, ME thesis, Civ. and Resour. Engrg. Dept., University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
24. Hager, W. H. and Oliveto, G. Shields’ entrainment criterion in bridge hydraulics, journal of hydraulic engineering, ASCE, 2002, 128 (5), pp. 538-542.
25. Haghighat, M. Scour around bridge pier group, 1993, ME thesis, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
26. HEC-18. Evaluating scour at bridges, Hydraulic Engineering Circular No. 18, 1991, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), USDOT, Washington, D.C.
27. Hjorth, P. Study on the Nature of Local Scour, 1975, Department of Water Resources, Lund Inst. of Tech., Lund, Sweden, Bulletin Series A, No. 46.
28. Hopkins, G.R., Vance, R.W., Kasrae, B.,(1980) ?Scour Around Bridge Piers, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC.
29. Melville, B.W. and Raudkivi, A.J. Flow Characteristics in Local Scour at Bridge Piers, Am.Soc. Civ. Eng., J. Hydr. Engrg, 1977, 15(4), 373-380.
30. Neill, C.R., Guide to bridge hydraulics, 1973, Edited by C.R. Neill, published for Roads and Transportation Assn. of Canada by University of Toronto Press.
31. Mubeen B. et. al., (2013) Scour Reduction around Bridge Piers: A Review, International Journal of Engineering Inventions, Vol. 2, Issue 7 pp. 07-15.
32. Sarda V.K. (2010) Protection of Bridge Abutments from Scour, Journal of Indian Water Resources, Vol. 30 No. 1.
33. Shen, H. W., Schneider, V. R. and Karaki, S. S., Mechanics of local scour, data supplement, prepared for bureau of public roads, 1966, Office of Research and Development, Civil Engineering Department, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, Report CER66-67HWS27.
34. Shen, H.W., Schneider, V.R. and Karaki, S., Local scour around bridge piers, J. of Hydraulic Div., A.S.C.E., 1969, Vo. 95, No. 6, pp. 1919-1940.
35. Tanaka, S. and Yano, M., Local Scour around a Circular Cylinder, Proc. 12th IAHR Congress, delft, The Netherlands, 1967, 3,193-201.
36. Thomas, Z., An Interesting hydraulic effect occurring at local scour, Proc. 12th Congress, I.A.H.R., Ft. Collins, Colorado, 1967, Vol. 3, pp. 125-134.
37. Vittal, N., Kothyari, U.C. and Haighghat, M., Clear Water Scour around Bridge Piers Group, 1994, J. Hydr. Engrg. ASCE, 120(11), 1309-1318.
38. Wardhana, Kumalasari, and Fabian C. Hadipriono., Analysis of Recent Bridge Failures in the United States, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 2003, 17.3, pp. 144- 150.
scouring, computational, ANSYS, CAD, CATIA, FLUENT, ICEM, pier, stream, erosion, river bed.