Studies on Biosorption of Eosin Yellow Dye With Spicifera Powder and Optimization through Central Composite Design
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2018 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2018|
|Authors : Dr. Ch. A. I. Raju and P. Jagadeesh
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V59P230|
Dr. Ch. A. I. Raju and P. Jagadeesh"Studies on Biosorption of Eosin Yellow Dye With Spicifera Powder and Optimization through Central Composite Design", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V59(3),162-167 May 2018. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
In this study dried powdered of Spicifera, component were used for the removal of Eosin Yellow dye from aqueous solutionby using a new biosorbent in a batch biosorption technique. The characterization of the biosorbent was performed by using FTIR and XRD techniques. The parameters investigated includes, agitation time, biosorbent size, pH, initial concentration of dye, dosage of biosorbent and temperature. The Kinetic study incorporated lagergren first order and pseudo second order models. The study also included thermodynamics and isotherms like Langmuir, Freundlich and Temkin. The experimental data was correlated for regression analysis and the data was very well fitted.
1. P. Nigam, G. Armour, I.M. Banat, D. Singh, R. Marchant, Physical removal of textile dyes from effluents and solid-state fermentation of dye-adsorbed agricultural residues, Biores. Technol. 72 (2000) 219– 226.
2. V.J.P. Poots, J.J. McKay, The removal of acid dye from effluent using natural adsorbents-peat, Water Res. 10 (1976) 1061–1066.
3. G. McKay, Waste color removal from textile effluents, Am. Dyes Rep. 68 (1979) 29–36.
4. G. Mishra, M. Tripathy, A critical review of the treatment for decolorization of textile effluent, Colourage 40 (1993) 35–38.
5. N. Willmott, J. Guthrie, G. Nelson, The biotechnology approach to colour removal from textile effluent, J. Soc. Dyers Colour. 114 (1998) 38–41.
6. T. Robinson, G. McMullan, R. Marchant, P. Nigam, Remediation of dyes in textile effluent: a critical review on current treatment technologies with a proposed alternative, Biores. Technol. 77 (2001) 247– 255.
7. C. Moran, M.E. Hall, R.C. Howell, Effects of sewage treatment on textile effluent, J. Soc. Dyers Colour. 113 (1997) 272–274.C.M. Carliell, S.J. Barclay, C.A. Buckley, Treatment of exhausted reactive dye bath effluent using anaerobic digestion: laboratory and full-scale trials, Water SA 22 (1996) 225–233.
8. K.K.H. Choy, G. McKay, J.F. Porter, Sorption of acid dyes from effluents using activated carbon, Res. Conserv. Recyc. 27 (1999) 57–71.
9. S.W. Won, S.B. Choi, B.W. Chung, D. Park, J.M. Park, Y.-S. Yun, Biosorptive decolorization of Reactive Orange 16 using the waste biomass of Corynebacterium glutamicum, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 43 (2004) 7865–7869.
10. S. Karcher, A. Kornm¨uller, M. Jekel, Screening of commercial sorbents for the removal of reactive dyes, Dyes Pigments 51 (2001) 111–125.
11. G. McKay, M. El-Geundi, M.M. Nassar, Equilibrium studies during the removal of dyestuffs from aqueous solutions using bagasse pith, Water Res. 22 (1987) 1513–1520.
12. L.C. Morais, O.M. Freitas, E.P. Goncalves, L.T. Vasconcelos, C.G. Gonzalez, Reactive dyes removal from wastewater by adsorption on eucalyptus bark, Water Sci. Technol. 33 (1999) 979–988.
13. J.A. Lazlo, Electrolyte effects on hydrolyzed reactive dye binding to quaternized cellulose, Text. Chem. Color. 27 (1995) 25–27.
14. J.A. Lazlo, Preparing an ion exchange resin from sugarcane bagasse to remove reactive dye from wastewater, Text. Chem. Color. 28 (1996) 13–17.
15. K.S. Low, C.K. Lee, Quaternized rice husks as sorbent for reactive dyes, Biores. Technol. 61 (1997) 121–125
16. K.S. Low, C.K. Lee, K.L. Lee, Removal of reactive dyes by quaterniced coconut husk, J. Environ. Sci. Health Part A: Toxic/Hazard. Substances 33 (1998) 1479–1489
17. Wang, Li, Jian Zhang, Ran Zhao, Cong Li, Ye Li, and Chenglu Zhang. "Adsorption of basic dyes on activated carbon prepared from Polygonum orientale Linn: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies." Desalination 254, no. 1-3 (2010): 68-74.
18. Wang, Li, Jian Zhang, Ran Zhao, Cong Li, Ye Li, and Chenglu Zhang. "Adsorption of basic dyes on activated carbon prepared from Polygonum orientale Linn: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies." Desalination 254, no. 1-3 (2010): 68-74.
19. Khattri, S. D., and M. K. Singh. "Removal of malachite green from dye wastewater using neem sawdust by adsorption." Journal of Hazardous Materials 167, no. 1-3 (2009): 1089-1094.
20. Liu, Tonghao, Yanhui Li, Qiuju Du, Jiankun Sun, Yuqin Jiao, Guangming Yang, Zonghua Wang et al. "Adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by graphene." Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 90 (2012): 197-203.
21. Mittal, Alok, Dipika Kaur, Arti Malviya, Jyoti Mittal, and V. K. Gupta. "Adsorption studies on the removal of coloring agent phenol red from wastewater using waste materials as adsorbents." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 337, no. 2 (2009): 345-354.
22. Wang, Zhong-Sheng, Hiroshi Kawauchi, Takeo Kashima, and Hironori Arakawa. "Significant influence of TiO2 photoelectrode morphology on the energy conversion efficiency of N719 dye-sensitized solar cell." Coordination chemistry reviews 248, no. 13-14 (2004): 1381-1389.
23. Ho, Y. S., C. T. Huang, and H. W. Huang. "Equilibrium sorption isotherm for metal ions on tree fern." Process Biochemistry37, no. 12 (2002): 1421-1430.
24. Erdem, Emin, Gülay Çölgeçen, and Ramazan Donat. "The removal of textile dyes by diatomite earth." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 282, no. 2 (2005): 314-319.
25. Jain, Prashant K., Kyeong Seok Lee, Ivan H. El-Sayed, and Mostafa A. El-Sayed. "Calculated absorption and scattering properties of gold nanoparticles of different size, shape, and composition: applications in biological imaging and biomedicine." The journal of physical chemistry B 110, no. 14 (2006): 7238-7248.
26. Mittal, Atul K., and S. K. Gupta. "Biosorption of cationic dyes by dead macro fungus Fomitopsis carnea: batch studies." Water science and technology 34, no. 10 (1996): 81-87.
27. Dizge, N., C. Aydiner, E. Demirbas, M. Kobya, and S. Kara. "Adsorption of reactive dyes from aqueous solutions by fly ash: kinetic and equilibrium studies." Journal of Hazardous Materials 150, no. 3 (2008): 737-746.
28. Donia, Ahmed M., Asem A. Atia, Waheeba A. Al-amrani, and Ahmed M. El-Nahas. "Effect of structural properties of acid dyes on their adsorption behaviour from aqueoussolutions by amine modified silica." Journal of hazardous materials 161, no. 2-3 (2009): 1544-1550.
29. Hasan, M., A. L. Ahmad, and B. H. Hameed. "Adsorption of reactive dye onto cross-linked chitosan/oil palm ash composite beads." Chemical Engineering Journal 136, no. 2-3 (2008): 164-172.
30. Chatterjee, Sandipan, Sudipta Chatterjee, Bishnu P. Chatterjee, and Arun K. Guha. "Adsorptive removal of congo red, a carcinogenic textile dye by chitosan hydrobeads: Binding mechanism, equilibrium and kinetics." Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 299, no. 1-3 (2007): 146-152.
31. Mittal, Alok, Dipika Kaur, Arti Malviya, Jyoti Mittal, and V. K. Gupta. "Adsorption studies on the removal of coloring agent phenol red from wastewater using waste materials as adsorbents." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 337, no. 2 (2009): 345-354. 32. Luo, Peng, Yafei Zhao, Bing Zhang, Jindun Liu, Yong Yang, and Junfang Liu. "Study on the adsorption of Neutral Red from aqueous solution onto halloysite nanotubes." Water research44, no. 5 (2010): 1489-1497.
33. Demirbas, E., M. Kobya, and M. T. Sulak. "Adsorption kinetics of a basic dye from aqueous solutions onto apricot stone activated carbon." Bioresource technology 99, no. 13 (2008): 5368-5373.
34. Wang, Li, Jian Zhang, Ran Zhao, Cong Li, Ye Li, and Chenglu Zhang. "Adsorption of basic dyes on activated carbon prepared from Polygonum orientale Linn: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies." Desalination 254, no. 1-3 (2010): 68-74.
35. Hameed, B. H., D. K. Mahmoud, and A. L. Ahmad. "Sorption of basic dye from aqueous solution by pomelo (Citrus grandis) peel in a batch system." Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 316, no. 1-3 (2008): 78-84.
36. Banat, Fawzi, Sameer Al-Asheh, and Leema Al-Makhadmeh. "Evaluation of the use of raw and activated date pits as potential adsorbents for dye containing waters." Process Biochemistry 39, no. 2 (2003): 193-202.
37. Kamboh, Muhammad Afzal, Imam Bakhsh Solangi, S. T. H. Sherazi, and Shahabuddin Memon. "Synthesis and application of calix  arene based resin for the removal of azo dyes." Journal of hazardous materials 172, no. 1 (2009): 234-239.
38. Javadian, Hamedreza, Mahmood Torabi Angaji, and M. Naushad. "Synthesis and characterization of polyaniline/?-alumina nanocomposite: a comparative study for the adsorption of three different anionic dyes." Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 20, no. 5 (2014): 3890-3900.
39. Feng, Yanfang, Hui Zhou, Guohua Liu, Jun Qiao, Jinhua Wang, Haiying Lu, Linzhang Yang, and Yonghong Wu. "Methylene blue adsorption onto swede rape straw (Brassica napus L.) modified by tartaric acid: equilibrium, kinetic and adsorption mechanisms." Bioresource technology 125 (2012): 138-144.
40. Hameed, B. H. "Grass waste: A novel sorbent for the removal of basic dye from aqueous solution." Journal of Hazardous Materials 166, no. 1 (2009): 233-238.
41. Preethi, S., A. Sivasamy, S. Sivanesan, V. Ramamurthi, and G. Swaminathan. "Removal of safranin basic dye from aqueous solutions by adsorption onto corncob activated carbon." Industrial & engineering chemistry research 45, no. 22 (2006): 7627-7632.
42. Khattri, S. D., and M. K. Singh. "Colour removal from synthetic dye wastewater using a bioadsorbent." Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 120, no. 3-4 (2000): 283-294.
43. Aravindhan, Rathinam, Jonnalagadda Raghava Rao, and Balachandran Unni Nair. "Removal of basic yellow dye from aqueous solution by sorption on green alga Caulerpa scalpelliformis." Journal of Hazardous Materials 142, no. 1-2 (2007): 68-76.
44. Gupta, V. K., Alok Mittal, Lisha Krishnan, and Jyoti Mittal. "Adsorption treatment and recovery of the hazardous dye, Brilliant Blue FCF, over bottom ash and de-oiled soya." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 293, no. 1 (2006): 16-26.
45. Alpat, Sibel K?l?nç, Özge Özbayrak, ?enol Alpat, and Hüsamettin Akçay. "The adsorption kinetics and removal of cationic dye, Toluidine Blue O, from aqueous solution with Turkish zeolite." Journal of hazardous materials 151, no. 1 (2008): 213-220.
46. Rodríguez, Araceli, Juan García, Gabriel Ovejero, and María Mestanza. "Adsorption of anionic and cationic dyes on activated carbon from aqueous solutions: Equilibrium and kinetics." Journal of Hazardous Materials 172, no. 2-3 (2009): 1311-1320.
47. Ho, Y. S., and G. McKay. "The kinetics of sorption of basic dyes from aqueous solution by sphagnum moss peat." The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 76, no. 4 (1998): 822-827.
48. Shen, Dazhong, Jianxin Fan, Weizhi Zhou, Baoyu Gao, Qinyan Yue, and Qi Kang. "Adsorption kinetics and isotherm of anionic dyes onto organo-bentonite from single and multisolute systems." Journal of hazardous materials 172, no. 1 (2009): 99-107.
49. Allen, Stephen J., Gordon McKay, and K. Y. H. Khader. "Equilibrium adsorption isotherms for basic dyes onto lignite." Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 45, no. 4 (1989): 291-302.
50. Akbal, Feryal. "Adsorption of basic dyes from aqueous solution onto pumice powder." Journal of colloid and interface science 286, no. 2 (2005): 455-458.
51. Khaled, Azza, Ahmed El Nemr, Amany El-Sikaily, and Ola Abdelwahab. "Removal of Direct N Blue-106 from artificial textile dye effluent using activated carbon from orange peel: adsorption isotherm and kinetic studies." Journal of Hazardous Materials 165, no. 1-3 (2009): 100-110.
52. Mittal, Alok. "Adsorption kinetics of removal of a toxic dye, Malachite Green, from wastewater by using hen feathers." Journal of hazardous materials 133, no. 1-3 (2006): 196-202.
53. Özacar, Mahmut, and ?. Ayhan ?engil. "A kinetic study of metal complex dye sorption onto pine sawdust." Process Biochemistry 40, no. 2 (2005): 565-572.
54. Wu, Chung-Hsin. "Adsorption of reactive dye onto carbon nanotubes: equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamics." Journal of hazardous materials 144, no. 1-2 (2007): 93-100.
55. Waranusantigul, P., P. Pokethitiyook, M. Kruatrachue, and E. S. Upatham. "Kinetics of basic dye (methylene blue) biosorption by giant duckweed (Spirodela polyrrhiza)." Environmental pollution 125, no. 3 (2003): 385-392.
56. Crini, Grégorio, Harmel Ndongo Peindy, Frédéric Gimbert, and Capucine Robert. "Removal of CI Basic Green 4 (Malachite Green) from aqueous solutions by adsorption using cyclodextrin-based adsorbent: Kinetic and equilibrium studies." Separation and Purification Technology 53, no. 1 (2007): 97-110.
57. Wang, Peifang, Muhan Cao, Chao Wang, Yanhui Ao, Jun Hou, and Jin Qian. "Kinetics and thermodynamics of adsorption of methylene blue by a magnetic graphene-carbon nanotube composite." Applied Surface Science 290 (2014): 116-124.
58. Li, Qian, Qin-Yan Yue, Yuan Su, Bao-Yu Gao, and Hong-Jian Sun. "Equilibrium, thermodynamics and process design to minimize adsorbent amount for the adsorption of acid dyes onto cationic polymer-loaded bentonite." Chemical Engineering Journal 158, no. 3 (2010): 489-497.
59. Özcan, Adnan, A. Safa Özcan, Sibel Tunali, Tamer Akar, and Ismail Kiran. "Determination of the equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic parameters of adsorption of copper (II) ions onto seeds of Capsicum annuum." Journal of Hazardous Materials 124, no. 1-3 (2005): 200-208.
60. Vieira, Adriana P., Sirlane AA Santana, Cícero WB Bezerra, Hildo AS Silva, José AP Chaves, Júlio CP de Melo, Edson C. da Silva Filho, and Claudio Airoldi. "Kinetics and thermodynamics of textile dye adsorption from aqueous solutions using babassu coconutmesocarp." Journal of Hazardous Materials 166, no. 2-3 (2009): 1272-1278.
61. Kyzas, George Z., Nikolaos K. Lazaridis, and Athanassios Ch Mitropoulos. "Removal of dyes from aqueous solutions with untreated coffee residues as potential low-cost adsorbents: Equilibrium, reuse and thermodynamic approach." Chemical engineering journal 189 (2012): 148-159.
62. Amari, Abdelfattah, Abdelaziz Gannouni, Mohamed Chlendi, and Ahmed Bellagi. "Optimization by response surface methodology (RSM) for toluene adsorption onto prepared acid activated clay." The Canadian journal of chemical engineering86, no. 6 (2008): 1093-1102.
63. Rêgo, T. V., T. R. S. Cadaval Jr, G. L. Dotto, and L. A. A. Pinto. "Statistical optimization, interaction analysis and desorption studies for the azo dyes adsorption onto chitosan films." Journal of colloid and interface science 411 (2013): 27-33.
64. Jawad, Ali H., Abbas FM Alkarkhi, and Nur Shazwani Abdul Mubarak. "Photocatalytic decolorization of methylene blue by an immobilized TiO2 film under visible light irradiation: optimization using response surface methodology (RSM)." Desalination and Water Treatment 56, no. 1 (2015): 161-172.
65. Pillai, Magesh Ganesa, I. Regupathi, M. Helen Kalavathy, T. Murugesan, and Lima Rose Miranda. "Optimization and analysis of nickel adsorption on microwave irradiated rice husk using response surface methodology (RSM)." Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 84, no. 2 (2009): 291-301.
66. Huang, Si, Sheri Betker, Ken Quail, and R1 Moss. "An optimized processing procedure by response surface methodology (RSM) for northern-style Chinese steamed bread." Journal of cereal science 18, no. 1 (1993): 89-102.
67. Briandet, Romain, E. Katherine Kemsley, and Reginald H. Wilson. "Discrimination of Arabica and Robusta in instant coffee by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and chemometrics." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 44, no. 1 (1996): 170-174.
68. Hallinan, Daniel T., and Yossef A. Elabd. "Diffusion and sorption of methanol and water in Nafion using time-resolved fourier transform infrared? attenuated total reflectance spectroscopy." The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 111, no. 46 (2007): 13221-13230.
69. Sander, Lane C., James B. Callis, and Larry R. Field. "Fourier transform infrared spectrometric determination of alkyl chain conformation on chemically bonded reversed-phase liquid chromatography packings." Analytical Chemistry 55, no. 7 (1983): 1068-1075.
70. Nasse, Michael J., Michael J. Walsh, Eric C. Mattson, Ruben Reininger, André Kajdacsy-Balla, Virgilia Macias, Rohit Bhargava, and Carol J. Hirschmugl. "High-resolution Fourier-transform infrared chemical imaging with multiple synchrotron beams." Nature methods 8, no. 5 (2011): 413.
71. Schrader, Bernhard, Andreas Hoffmann, and Stefan Keller. "Near-infrared Fourier transform Raman spectroscopy: Facing absorption and background." Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Spectroscopy 47, no. 9-10 (1991): 1135-1148.
72. Chen, Zhixin, Danzhen Li, Wenjuan Zhang, Yu Shao, Tianwen Chen, Meng Sun, and Xianzhi Fu. "Photocatalytic degradation of dyes by ZnIn2S4 microspheres under visible light irradiation." The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 113, no. 11 (2009): 4433-4440.
73. Li, J. Jack, Y. Andrew Wang, Wenzhuo Guo, Joel C. Keay, Tetsuya D. Mishima, Matthew B. Johnson, and Xiaogang Peng. "Large-scale synthesis of nearly monodisperse CdSe/CdS core/shell nanocrystals using air-stable reagents via successive ion layer adsorption and reaction." Journal of the American Chemical Society 125, no. 41 (2003): 12567-12575.
74. Nelson, Johanna, Sumohan Misra, Yuan Yang, Ariel Jackson, Yijin Liu, Hailiang Wang, Hongjie Dai, Joy C. Andrews, Yi Cui, and Michael F. Toney. "In operando X-ray diffraction and transmission X-ray microscopy of lithium sulfur batteries." Journal of the American Chemical Society 134, no. 14 (2012): 6337-6343.
75. Feng, Xinjian, Karthik Shankar, Oomman K. Varghese, Maggie Paulose, Thomas J. Latempa, and Craig A. Grimes. "Vertically aligned single crystal TiO2 nanowire arrays grown directly on transparent conducting oxide coated glass: synthesis details and applications." Nano letters 8, no. 11 (2008): 3781-3786.
76. Zhang, Zhenyi, Changlu Shao, Xinghua Li, Changhua Wang, Mingyi Zhang, and Yichun Liu. "Electrospun nanofibers of p-type NiO/n-type ZnO heterojunctions with enhanced photocatalytic activity." ACS applied materials & interfaces 2, no. 10 (2010): 2915-2923.
Eosin Yellow dye, spicifera, RSM,