Effect of Waste Sludge on Compaction Behaviour of Fly Ash
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2014 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2014|
|Authors : Dr. Malik Shoeb Ahmad
Dr. Malik Shoeb Ahmad."Effect of Waste Sludge on Compaction Behaviour of Fly Ash", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology(IJETT), 8(3),130-136 February 2014. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Standard Proctor compaction tests were carried out keeping (i) 30%-50% waste sludge and 70%-50% fly ash (ii) use of fresh/remolded samples; and (iii) preconditioning period as variable parameters. The value of maximum dry density (MDD) of mix 55%FA+45%S was observed as 13 kN/m3 which is about 40% more than MDD value (9.30 kN/m3) of fly ash under fresh condition. However, under remolded condition the mix 60%FA+40%S gives optimum value of MDD (13.40 kN/m3) which is 31% more than the MDD value (10.20 kN/m3) of fly ash under similar test condition. For the estimation of MDD of fly ash and fly ash-waste sludge, a linear empirical model has been chosen in terms of optimum moisture content (OMC) and specific gravity (G). The proposed method has been validated for Harduaganj fly ash and fly ash-waste sludge mixes.
1. Chang, J. E., Lin, T. T., Ko, M. S., and Liaw, D. S. (1999). “Stabilization/Solidification of sludges containing heavy metals by using cement and waste pozzolans.” Journal of Environmental Science Health, Vol. 34, No.5, 1143–1160.
2. Wiles, C. C. (1987). “A review of solidification/stabilization technology.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp 5–21.
3. Roy, T. K., Chattopadhyay, B. C. and Roy, S. K. (2009). “Effect of lime on the properties of subgrade of roads with addition of rice husk ash.” Indian Geotechnical Conference, India, 175-177.
4. Weng, C. H., and Huang, C. P. (1994). “Treatment of metal industrial waste water by fly ash and cement fixation.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, 120 (6), 1470–1487.
5. Parsa, J., Stuart, H., McGee, M., and Steiner, R. (1996). “Stabilization/Solidification of hazardous wastes using fly ash.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 122, No. 10, pp 935–939.
6. Sophia, C. A. and Swaminathan, K. (2005). “Assessment of the mechanical stability and chemical leachability of immobilized electroplating waste.” Chemosphere, Vol. 58, 75–82.
7. T¨urkel, S. (2006). “Long-term compressive strength and some other properties of controlled low strength materials made with pozzolanic cement and Class C fly ash.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, B 137, 261–266.
8. Ahmad, M. S. and Shah, S. S. (2010). “Load bearing strength of fly ash modified with cement and waste sludge.” International Journal of Civil Engineering (IJCE), Vol. 8, No. 4, 315-326.
9. Yahya Hamzeh, A Kamran Pourhooshyar Ziabari A, Javad Torkaman B, Alireza Ashori C, Mohammad Jafari (2013). “Study on the effects of white rice husk ash and fibrous materials additions on some properties of fiber–cement composites.” Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 117, pp 263–267.
10. Saeid. Amiralian, Amin. Chegenizadeh, and Hamid. Nikraz (2012). “Laboratory Investigation on the Compaction Properties of Lime and Fly Ash Composite.” International Conference on Civil and Architectural applications (ICCAA`2012) December 18-19, 2012 Phuket (Thailand).
11. Singh, B and Goswami, R, (2012). "Compaction characteristics of lateritic soil mixed with fly ash and lime." International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering., Vol. 6, No. 4, 437-444. Online publication date: 1-Oct-2012.
12. Kampala, A, Horpibulsuk, S, Chinkullijniwat, A. and Shen, S (2013). "Engineering properties of recycled calcium carbide residue stabilized clay as fill and pavement materials."Construction and Building Materials (ASCE) Vol. 46, pp 203-210. Online publication date: 1-Sep-2013.
13. Mohamedzein, Y and Al-Aghbari, M (2012). "The Use of Municipal Solid Waste Incinerator Ash to Stabilize Dune Sands." Geotechnical and Geological Engineering (ASCE). Vol. 30, No.6, pp 1335-1344. Online publication date: 1-Dec-2012.
14. Behera, B and Mishra, M. (2012). "Strength behaviour of surface coal mine overburden–fly ash mixes stabilised with quick lime."International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment(ASCE). Vol. 26, No.1, 38-54.Online publication date: 1-Mar-2012.
15. Nilo Cesar Consoli, Amanda Dalla Rosa, and Rodrigo Beck Saldanha (2011). "Variables governing strength of compacted soil–fly ash–lime mixtures." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (ASCE). Vol. 23, No.4, pp 432-440.Online publication date: 1-Apr-2011.
16. Bera, A. K., Ghosh, A. and Ghosh, A. (2007). “Compaction characteristics of pond ash.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol 19, No.4, 349–357.
17. Kaniraj, S. R. and Havanagi, V. G. (2001). “Correlation analysis of laboratory compaction of fly ashes.” Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, Vol 5, No. 1, 25–32.
18. Ghosh, A., and Subbarao, C. (2007). “Strength characteristics of Class F fly ash modified with lime and gypsum.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 133, No.7, pp 757–766.
19. Shah, S. S., and Ahmad, M. S. (2008). “Sabilization of heavy metal containing waste using fly ash and cement.” Indian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 38, No.1, pp 89–100.
20. Sivapullaiah, P. V., Prashanth, J. P., and Sridharan, A. (1998). “Effect of delay between mixing and compaction on strength and compaction parameters of fly ash.” Geotechnical Engineering Bulletin, 7(4), 277–285.
21. Ramasamy, G., and Pusadkar, S. S. (2004). “Behaviour of compacted coal ash in structural fills.” First CUSAT National Conference on Recent Advances in Civil Engineering, 226–233.
Standard Proctor Compaction Test, Waste Sludge; Preconditioning Period, Maximum Dry Density, Optimum Moisture Content, Empirical Model.