MHD Free Convective Heat and Mass transfer of fluid flow past a moving variable surface in porous media
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2013 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2013|
|Authors : Ashok Kumar Singh , Benu Madhab|
Ashok Kumar Singh , Benu Madhab. "MHD Free Convective Heat and Mass transfer of fluid flow past a moving variable surface in porous media". International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT). V4(4):1151-1157 Apr 2013. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group.
This paper is focused to developed a mathematical model and comparative study of combined effects of free convective heat and mass transfer on the steady two - dimensional, laminar fluid flow past a moving permeable vertical surface in a porous med ia subject to a transverse uniform magnetic field. The surface is maintained at linear temperature and concentration variations. Using a similarity transformation, the nonlinear coupled differential equations governing the boundary layer flow, heat and mas s transfer are first reduced to a system of coupled ordinary differential equations and then solved numerically using an implicit finite difference technique. The effects of different parameters such as magnetic field strength parameter (M), ,Schmidt numb er (Sc), buoyancy ratio (N) , suction /blowing parameter (fw), darcy number (Da) are examined in detail to show the interesting aspects of the solution . Numerical result for the dimensionless velocity profiles, the temperature profiles, the concentration p rofiles, the local Nusselt number , sherwood number , skin friction cofficient are presented. The interesting numerical results indicate that the buoyancy parameter, magnetic parameter and suction/blowing parameter have a retarding effect on the velocity, temperature and concentration profiles.
1. Be jan A and Khair KR, Heat and mass transfer by natural convection in a porous medium. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 28, pp. 909 - 918 (1985).
2. Lai FC and Kulacki FA, Coupled heat and mass transfer from a sphere buried in an infinite porous medium. Int. J. Heat M ass Transfer, 33, pp.209 - 215 (1990).
3. Raptis A, Tzivanidis G, and Kafousias N (1981). Free convection and mass transfer flow through a porous medium bounded by an infinite vertical limiting surface with constant suction Lett. Heat Mass Transfer , 8,pp. 417 - 4 24.
4. Lai FC and Kulacki FA, Coupled heat and mass transfer by natural convection from vertical surfaces in a porous medium. Int. J Heat Mass Transfer, 34, pp.1189 - 1194 (1991).
5. K. Jayarami Reddy, K. Sunitha And M. Jayabharath Reddy, MHD Steady Free Convecti on flow from Vertical Surface in Porous Medium, J. Comp. & Math. Sci. Vol.3 (1), 121 - 130 (2012)
6. M.A. Samad, M. Mohebujjaman, Res. J. of Appl. Sc., Engg. and Technology , 1(3) (2009) , 98 - 106.
7. R. Saravana, S. Sreekanth, S. Sreenadh, R. Hemadri Reddy, Advances in Appl. Sc. Research , 2(1) (2011) , 221 - 229
8. A. Kavitha, R. Hemadri Reddy, S. Sreenadh, R. Saravana, A.N.S. Srinivas, Advances in Appl. Sc. Research , 2(1) (2011) , 269 - 279
9. Satya Sagar Saxena and G. K. Dubey, ?Unsteady MHD heat and mass transfer free convect ion flow of polar fluids past a vertical moving porous plate in a porous medium with heat generation and thermal diffusion?, Advances in Applied Science Research, 2011, 2 (4):259 - 278
10. V. Ravikumar, M.C.Raju and G.S.S.Raju, Heat and Mass Transfer Effects on MHD Flow of Viscous Fluid through Non - Homogeneous Porous Medium in Presence of Temperature Dependent Heat Source, Int. J. Contemp. Math. Sciences, Vol. 7, 2012, no. 32, 1597 - 1604
11. S. K. Ghosh, G. C. Shit , Mixed Convection MHD Flow of Viscoelastic Fluid in a Porous Medium past a Hot Vertical Plate, Vol.2 No.5, Oct 2012
12. Misra, J. C., Shit, G. C., Biomagnetic viscoelastic fluid flow over a stretching sheet?, Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 210, 2009, pp. 350 - 361.
13. S Kapoor, P Alam, R Gupta, LM Tiw ari, S Aggarwal., ? Analytical study of MHD natural convective flow of incompressible fluid flow from a vertical flat plate in porous medium ., IEEE conference proceeding., ICMSAO., pp.1 - 6 (2011)
14. C. H. Chen, ?Combined effects of joule heating and viscous dissipation on MHD flow past a permeable, stretching surface with free convection and radiative heat transfer?, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 132, 2010, pp. 1 - 3.
15. Misra J, C. a nd Shit G. C., ?Flow of a Biomagnetic visco - elastic fluid in a channel with stretching walls?, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 76, 2009, pp. 1 - 9.
16. R. Cortell, ?Visco - elastic fluid flow and heat transfer over a stretching sheet under the effects of a non - uniform heat source, viscous dissipation and thermal radiation?, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 50, 2007, pp. 3152 - 3162.
17. H. S. Takhar, V. M. Soundalgekar and A. S. Gupta, ?Mixed convction of an incompressible fluid in a porous media past a hot vertical plate, International Journal of non - Linear Mechanics, Vol. 25, 1990, pp. 723 - 728.
18. S. Shateyi and S. S. Motsa, ?Variable Viscosity on magnetohydrodynamic fluid flow and heat transfer over an unsteady stretching surface with Hall effect?, Boundary Value Problems, Vol. 1, 2010, pp. 1 - 20.
19. N. C. Mahanti and P. Gaur,?The effect of varying viscosity and thermal conductivity on steady free convective flow and heat transfer along an isothermal vertical plate in the presence of heat sink, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2009, pp. 23 — 28.
20. R. Cortell, ?Similarity solutions for flow and heat transfer of a viscoelastic fluid over a stretching sheet, Interna - tional Journal of non - Linear Mechanics, Vol. 29, 1994, pp. 155 - 161.
21. J. Y. Jang and J. S. Leu, ? Variable viscosity effects on the vortex instability of free convection boundary layer over a horizontal surface, Numerical Heat Transfer, Vol. 25, 1994, pp. 495 - 500.
22. M. Misra, N. Ahmad and Z. U. Siddiqui, ?Unsteady boundary laye r flow past a stretching plate and heat transfer with variable thermal conductivity?, World Journal of Mechanics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2012, pp. 35 - 41.
23. S.Rawat., S.Kapoor., ? Finite Element Study Of Radiative Free Convection Flow Over A Linearly Moving Perm eable Vertical Surface In The Presence Of Magnetic Field ., 38(2012), 2288 - 2296.
24. B. K. Sharma,, R. C. Chaudhury and M. Agarwal, ?Radiation effect of steady free convective flow along a uniform moving porous vertical plate in presence of heat source/sink and transverse magnetic field?, Bulletin of Calcutta Mathematical Society, Vol. 100, 2008, pp. 529 - 538.
25. M. Massoudi and M. Ramezan, ? Effect of injection or suction on the Falkner - Skan Flows of second grade flu ids?, International Journal of non - Linear Mechani cs, Vol. 24, 1989, pp. 221 - 227.
26. A.K. Singh and R. S. R. Gorla, ?Free convective heat and mass transfer with Hall current,Joule heating and thermal diffusion?, Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 45, 2009, pp. 1341 — 1349.
27. LM Tiwari, S Kapoor, S Agarwal, V Dabral ? Effect of Prandtl Number in Free convective MHD flow past a low - heat - resistance sheet in Porous media IJCA Proceedings on National Workshop - Cum - Conference on Recent Trends in Mathematics and Computing ( 2011 ). RTMC (6); May2012.
Copper (Cu), Carbon Nanotube, Single wall Carbon Nanotube (SWCNT), Multiwall Carbon Nanotube (MWCNT), Mixed Carbon Nanotubes (MCNT)