Modelling and Analysis of a Car for Reducing Aerodynamic Forces
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : A.Anish, Suthen.P.G, Viju.M.K
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V47P201|
A.Anish, Suthen.P.G, Viju.M.K "Modelling and Analysis of a Car for Reducing Aerodynamic Forces", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V47(1),1-17 May 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Performance, handling, safety, and comfort of a car are significantly affected by its aerodynamic properties. Getting high power directly from the engine is just not enough to judge the performance of the car. Aerodynamics affects the performance of vehicle due to change in parameters such as lift and drag forces which play a significant role at high speed. With improvement in computer technology, manufacturers are looking toward CFD instead of wind tunnel testing to reduce the testing time and keep the cost of R&D low. In this project by reducing the difference in pressure the drag force will be reduced hence the fuel consumption will be reduced. The car body is often optimized for reducing the drag resistance but in this project some of the additional components are added to reduce the drag and lift. The additional components are diffuser, vortex generator, spoiler, tyre cover and air ducts. Thereby reducing the drag and lift will improve the car handling behavior, acceleration and fuel efficiency. The approach needed to justify the amount of drag and lift that can be reduced by addition of those components as compared to the Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car model without those additional components.
1. J. D. Anderson, Fundamentals of Aerodynamics (Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2001)
2. Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics ( Dmitri Kuzmin) http://www.mathematik.unidortmund. de/kuzmin/cfdintro/cfd.html
3. Wolf-Heinrich Hucho, Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, 4th Revised Edition, Society of Automotive Engineers, U.S., 1998, ISBN: 978-0768000290
4. Aerodynamic Analysis of a Car for Reducing Drag Force (Gavin Dias, Nisha R. Tiwari, Joju John Varghese, Graham Koyeerath)
5. Aerodynamic Analysis of a Car Model using Fluent- Ansys (Nov 2014)
6. Design and Analysis the Effect of Rear spoiler and Rear diffuser on Aerodynamic Forces using CFD (Apr 2016)
7. CFD-based Optimization for Automotive Aerodynamics (Laurent Dumas)
8. An aerodynamic study on mpv spoiler (Raguvaran A/L Jayahkudy)
9. Hucho, W. H., Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, Fourth Edition, SAE International 1998
10. Cfd report ? 3d aerodynamic analysis of “AEROCAR” hatchback concept at 80kmph
11. Design and Analysis the Effect of Rear spoiler and Rear diffuser on Aerodynamic Forces using CFD.
CFD, Acceleration, fuel efficiency, drag, lift.