The Influence of Architecture and Planning of Regions and Locations of Built Environment on Solid Waste Management in Developing Countries
|International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)||
|© 2017 by IJETT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Haruna Abdu Usman
|DOI : 10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V48P238|
Haruna Abdu Usman "The Influence of Architecture and Planning of Regions and Locations of Built Environment on Solid Waste Management in Developing Countries", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), V48(4),213-218 June 2017. ISSN:2231-5381. www.ijettjournal.org. published by seventh sense research group
Municipal solid waste management in developing countries has thwarted the efforts of municipal governments of most developing countries and has continued to deteriorate both the quality of the environment, health and well-being of urban dwellers in these countries. Most researches pointed out the problems to be enormous ranging from inadequate involvement and conceptualization of the role of various stakeholders, fiscal irresponsibility, equipment failure and lack of reliable data to formulate policies. One important aspect which has suffered neglect from the perspective of various researches and has exerted much influence on solid waste management in developing countries is the architecture and planning of regions and locations (built environment). This paper analyze the impacts of architecture and planning parameters exerted on solid waste management in Bauchi metropolis.
1) Abagale, K. F, Mensah, A, and Osei, R. A. (2012); Urban Solid Waste Sorting in a Growing City of Ghana. International journal of environment and sustainability. Vol. 1, No. 4. Pp 18-25
2) Amalu, A. (2014). Appraisal of Solid Waste Management Practices in Enugu City. Journal of Waste Management, 4(1), 97-105.
3) Amuda, O. S, Adebisi, S. A, Jimoda, L. A, Alade, A.O. (2014); Challenges and Possible Panacea to the Municipal Solid Waste Management in Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Development Studies. Vol.6, No. 1, pp 64-70
4) Augustine, A. and Odhiambo, F. (2009). The Primary Solid Waste Storage Gaps Experienced by Nairobi Households. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management. 2(3)
5) Babayemi, J.O and Dauda, K.T. (2009). Evaluation of Solid Waste Generation, Categories and Disposal option in Developing Countries a case of Nigeria. Journal Applied Science Environmental Management, 13(3), 83-88.
6) Bogoro, A.G. (2012). The Role of Women in Household Solid Waste Management in Bauchi Metropolitan Area. Bauchi: Unpublished Ph.D Thesis Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi.
7) Etengeneng, D. (2012); Municipal Solid Waste Management in Grahamstown, Republic of South Africa. Unpublished Bachelors theses. University of Applied science. South Africa.
8) Moila, L. R. (2007); Solid Waste Management in Urban Fringe Settlements. The case of Winterveld, Pretoria. Master of Science Dissertation, University of Pretoria.
9) Ndum, A.E. (2013). Bottom-up Approach to Sustainable Solid Waste Management in African Countries:. Cottbus: Unpublished Ph.D Thesis The Case of Buea-Camaroon, Brandenburg University of Technology.
10) Nkya, E. (2004). Public Private Partnership and Institutional Arrangements; Constrain for Improvement of Solid Waste Management in Dar-es-Salam,. Uongozi Journal of Management Development, 16(1), 1-21.
11) Ogwuche, J. and Yusuf, F.A. (2013). Spatial Location of Solid Waste dump sites and Collection Scheduling using GIS in Bauchi Metropolis Nigeria. European Journal of Scientific 9(11) ISSN:1857-7831(print) 374-382.
12) Schubeler, P. Wehrle, K and Christen J. (1996) Conceptual Framework for Municipal Solid Waste Management in low Income countries. SKAT/UNDP/UNCHS (Habitat) World Bank/SDC.
13) Stanley, A.M., Andrew, S.S., Dania, A.A. and Sani, F.I. (2012). An Assessment of Household Solid Waste Disposal Practices in Sabon Gari Zaria. Journal of Environmental Technology, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi 5(1)8-12
14) Simon, A. (2008). Analysis of Activities of copany Based Organization Involved in solid was Management.Investigating Modernized Mixtures Approach. Tanzania: The Nertherland;Wageningen University.
15) Solomon, A. (2011). The role of Households In Solid waste Management (Vol. 4). East Africa: The Nertherlands.
16) Tchnobanoglous, G. (1993). Integrated Solid Waste Managment. New York: Engineering Principles & Management Issues.
17) UNEP, (2013). Global Environmental Alert Services (GEAS). UNEP.
18) Udoakah, Y. and Akpan, U. (2013). "Sustainable Approach to Municipal Solid Waste Magement in Sourthern Nigeria. Proceedings the Institute of Electrical Electronics Engineering (IEEE) Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC) California USA 201-210
19) Van-Dijik.M, Kwarteng.O.(2007). Urban Management and Solid Waste Issues in Africa. A contribution to the ISWA World Congress.
solid waste, architecture and planning, Bauchi metropolis, solid waste management.